My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am need of a new mower after 23 years with my JD 185. Looking to by a ztr and have narrowed it down to Scag and JD. What is your thoughts on Scag Tiger Cat 48-52 deck with Kaw vs JD 710 48-54 deck and kohler. This will probably be the last mower I buy. Thx

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Hello, jetson22 and :welcome: to MLF!

I will be absolutely no help to you. I've seen the Scag used here often and by commercial lawn maintenance folks that are not so kind to their machines. They are notoriously dependable (tanks).

I've only seen a few of the JD ZTr's but they're also very impressive.

How's that for a non-answer?

I'm sure other's with more experience will chime in and get me off the hook as well as be of more help to you!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Honestly,

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Both are very durable units from very reputable companies which offer a similar package with comparable powerplants that are both known to be very reliable. Scag ZTR's have been around longer as JD only recently got into the big ZTR's within the past decade, but that doesn't by any means indicate they are necessarily better.

I would recommend going to both dealers and test driving each. This will definitely help narrow things down. Just like test driving a car, there will be things you like and don't like such as how the controls feel over one another, one might have more vibrations vs the other and simply the overall design which should help weigh out your decision and make one stand out as the winner more than the other.

I'm not as familiar with Scag's policy on returns, but JD offers a 30 day promise that if you are not happy with the machine, you can return it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would go with the JD, Scag is just too small of a company. They could disappear any time.
I believe you are mistaken. From their website:

"Scag Power Equipment, a division of Metalcraft of Mayville Inc., was founded in 1983. Originally, the Scag product was manufactured under contract with Metalcraft of Mayville in Mayville, Wisconsin. In 1986, Metalcraft purchased Scag Power Equipment, marking the beginning of a tremendous period of growth for the company.

From just one model, a gear-drive rider, to over 50 models today, Scag Power Equipment has become the largest independent manufacturer of commercial mowing equipment in the country..."
SCAG POWER EQUIPMENT - Company Background

1 - 5 of 5 Posts