My Lawnmower Forum banner

ZTR Concept - research

8K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  DrBailey 
I owned a home with approx. 3.5 acres that I mowed with a Weedeater 42 inch rider that I bought new in 1996. It took me around 6 hours to mow it. In 2005 I bought my first Zero turn mower. It is a scag Super Z 48 inch, about a 1997 model. (I still use it) It cut my mowing time in half. I must say the old Briggs & Stratton 18.5 in the Weedeater hung in there and was a faithful servant, but the 18 horse Kohler in the Scag was a needed improvement, providing more torque in the thick stuff. I since have owned a Great Dane 48" Zero Turn (which I didn't like as much as the old Scag), a Ferris 48" walk behind, a Cushman 72" diesel, and now a 2010 John Deere 997 72" diesel. (Oh, did I mention I sold the aformentioned home and now reside on a 100+ acre farm?) The rider will do the job you require adequately, but you will enjoy using a Zero Turn. If you can pick up a used commercial ZT with low hours for a reasonable price, I say go for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.