My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 930a has been a real workhorse until earlier this month when it began stalling every hour or so for no apparent reason. Had it into the local dealer for service and all filters, air and fuel, were replaced and they said it was good to go.

When it was again time to mow, almost immediately I noticed the engine was loading down in proportion to the density or height of the grass. Not good but I continued until it slowed to a crawl and almost stalled while working in the tallest grass. This grass, actually mostly weeds but still green, was dry and maybe 7 inches tall. This mower never hesitated in deeper wet grass until now.

Had it back to the dealer and after a couple days they told me the carb' needed replacement.

The unit is only a couple years old I've never had a bad carburator before so wonder how this might have failed so quickly.

Any thoughts about why this thing failed or how it might be prevented? This is an expensive repair and I'd hate to have this problem again.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Stuff happens. (My highly technical theory. ;))

Maybe you just got a hold of some bad gas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another good possibility is Ethanol Gas. If I have to use Ethanol I always add Startron or Seafoam to the Gas.:soap:

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto:Well, the easiest thing would certainly be to drain out the gas and get a fresh batch with fuel treatment in it.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
i would suggest draining the old fuel, and half fill the tank with fresh gas. add about 4 teaspoons of seafoam to the fuel and start it, sometimes you get lucky and all the dirt, grime and particles will be burnt off. when the mower is started and has been running for a few minutes to get the fuel with treatment to the carb, add a splash into the intake. you are almost guranteened to get a visit from algore with the smoke this creates, but 75% of the time this fixes carb issues and it also burns off carbon deposits built up in the head and valves. basically its a multi vitamin for tractors and anything with an engine

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: That's basically what they do with a vacuum-induced carbon treatment. That Seafoam will really clean it out. :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
:ditto: That's basically what they do with a vacuum-induced carbon treatment. That Seafoam will really clean it out. :ThumbUp:
If all else fails SEAFOAM!!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
fUpdate: OK, the lawnmower was loading down and almost stalling while cutting my longer grass. The carburator replacement made a noticable difference in power but the mower continued to load down, something it had never done before.

To make a long story short; after being in the shop a couple more times with no conclusion except they continued to tell me that mulching decks cannot cut longer grass* in one pass, they finally found that, somehow, the wrong blades were installed.

*At best my long grass is 7 inches and not very dense like a healthy urban lawn'

A set of "high lift" blades were installed and the technician admitted they should not be used with a mulching deck/kit. Im sure this was accidental and I am hoping it explains; 1) why the mower was suddenly dropping clumps of relaticely long grass and 2) why it was bogging down.

I've yet to test the mower in longer grass (ill need to wait 'til it grows) but I am optimistic because the technician said it now worked well on the longest and densest grass near the dealership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts