My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little used John Deere Z335E that popped the belt off of the hydrostatic pulleys when a friend was cutting the grass while I was out of state working. A couple months have gone by and I’m home and think I put it on properly many times but it jumps right off as soon as it is started up like it’s either touted the wrong way or something is frozen up I’m not sure. I’ve looked under it and all seems to be as it should be. I’m usually very good at fixing things but I can’t seem to see what to do to get this to work properly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Me too. Any ideas?
Note, the OP has not been back in a long time, the second guy never came back either.
What machine do you have? How old?
How old is the belt?
Did you check all the pulleys? All free? Not worn?
Belt guides in the proper position?
You check for cracks in the axle mounting bracket? Any other cracks?
Look close, if the bracket is cracked the transmission will move slightly and cause the belt to pop off.
Pictures? Someone might see something a miss?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks so much for responding! I have a z335e. 2016 model. Belt kicks off almost immediately, always off of the passenger(?) side pulley. New belt. Same problem. Not sure what you mean by belt guides. If you could point them out I would be most appreciative. Going to check for cracks now. Thanks again. Tons!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
First, I am not too familiar with your machine.
You have 2 belts? One for traction drive and one for the deck? Which one comes off?
A guide would be somewhere to hold the belt from flopping around, most are simply some form of bar over the belt.
Trying to find a picture.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Font Engineering Auto part Machine Drawing

See the pulley on the right is that spring good? See the opposite end of the spring, not the hook side, there is a tubular bar almost touching the belt?
That looks like a belt guide to me, if not adjusted right the belt will be running floppy, there may be another right above the hook side of that spring.
If those guides are not set right the belt could jump off.
Like I said I have never worked on one, just trying to give you a few places to look.

So, you have 2 belts on it? One for the drive and one for the deck? I guess the deck belt is jumping off?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I have 2 belts. The transaxle belt is the one that is coming off. I have traced it to the right side cooling fan (arrow). One of the blades is hitting the belt and knocking it off. I’m attaching a shot of a z225 that shows the same layout as mine except for one thing: what seems to be a belt guide like you describe (yellow line) is not on my machine, and I can’t find one anywhere (yet). I have located a pulley/fan kit for 50 bucks. Might go ahead and order one. It appears that it’s just one blade that keeps knocking it off. They are cheap flimsy plastic.
Font Art Auto part Automotive exterior Line art

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think, not sure, it should have at least one belt guide somewhere. Most machines do.
I wonder if you could just take the one blade off? Must have got bent by a loose belt?
The fan pulley is metal right? Look around for any holes where a belt guide might have been around the other pulley.
Maybe it fell off and the belt loosened up and hit the fan blade?
After you fix it, No more racing! 😁

Edit, somewhere you should have some kind of spring for the idler pulley, check that too make sure it is working like it should.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Found some diagrams. They're all spread out over transaxle, clutch assembly, etc. But no signs of any guides whatsoever. I ordered the fan kit. Hopefully that'll do it. Thanks so much for taking time to help me, You're a good man Big Ed. Need more people like you in this world.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Found some diagrams. They're all spread out over transaxle, clutch assembly, etc. But no signs of any guides whatsoever. I ordered the fan kit. Hopefully that'll do it. Thanks so much for taking time to help me, You're a good man Big Ed. Need more people like you in this world.
You ought to check the reason for it hitting the fan? I guess the old belt became so loose it hit the fan?
Or else the pulley has a bearing and it went bad? Or something else?

I came over from our snow blower sister site Gallery
You have a snow blower come on over, even if you don't, sometimes there is a lawnmower thread, but mainly it is snow blowers.
Also a lot of engine repair and other useful things.

I joined here a while ago but forgot I was here. :)
This site is running slow for the season. You would think more would be on to help.
We were asked to come and try to give a hand to some questions.
So.......I try :)

In this picture, to the right, that almost looks like a belt guide. The black stud/bolt thing over the belt.
Under the wires, is that some sort of brake for that pulley?

Idiophone Automotive tire Musical instrument Bell Gas

·
Registered
8 Posts
The vertical rod is a bracket that keeps the pto clutch from spinnng. You can see it in the marked-up photo that I sent yesterday. It is next to the yellow highlighted "guide" (of which is not on my clutch), and is what I figure most sertainly is acting as a guide. You can see part of the "trouble fan" on the far left. I think y ou may be right about a stretched belt that did initial damage to the blade(s). I put on a new belt, but the blade(s) are throwing it, as well. Hence, the new fan kit. Thanks again Big Ed!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts