My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One day my mower was working fine and I stopped to load leaves onto the trailer and mower would not do anything. I tried jumping it , but still would not crank. So I bought a new battery because it was an old battery, but all it does is turn over one time and seems like it locks up. So Ilet off the key and do it again. But the same results. Could it be the starter, or something else?.

· Registered
135 Posts
Try pulling the spark plug out and cranking it. If then it's ok, then with the plug in turn it over to the point where it stops spinning. Turn the key off and by hand try and turn the motor until it spins free again. It you can do this a couple times, then it sound like a compression release problem. I would remove the valve cover(s) and check the valve lash.

Also, using jumper cables, Attach one end of the neg side to a clean point of the engine block and the touch the Pos directly to the starter terminal long enough to see if it cranks properly. If it does, there is probably a bad ground. Dis connect the battery completely and follow the black battery (Neg) wire and clean its connection to the frame or engine block. The red should go to the starter solenoid. Clean both connections there. If it only cranks well when jumped to the starter and the cable connections are god, then you probably have a bad safety switch or connection on one. You will have to search the inner-web for a wiring diagram.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try pulling the spark plug out and cranking it. If then it's ok, then with the plug in turn it over to the point where it stops spinning. Turn the key off and by hand try and turn the motor until it spins free again. It you can do this a couple times, then it sound like a compression release problem. I would remove the valve cover(s) and check the valve lash.

Also, using jumper cables, Attach one end of the neg side to a clean point of the engine block and the touch the Pos directly to the starter terminal long enough to see if it cranks properly. If it does, there is probably a bad ground. Dis connect theagain/ battery completely and follow the black battery (Neg) wire and clean its connection to the frame or engine block. The red should go to the starter solenoid. Clean both connections there. If it only cranks well when jumped to the starter and the cable connections are god, then you probably have a bad safety switch or connection on one. You will have to search the inner-web for a wiring diagram.

Ok. Thanks. I'll give it a try this weekend. By the time I get home everyday it's dark outside. I'll Let you know. Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts