My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to work on your push behind mowers? Do you throw it up onto a work bench? Have you custom made something? I'm looking for ideas on equipping my garage with a bench or something to use to make it easier to work on mowers and snow blowers

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I have a mow-jack for the riders, I just sit pushes on a few bricks and us a mechanics chair.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
We are the Tool man garage. Overkill. A BendPak MD-10 lift for cars. It acts like lift for tractors and with some plywood mowers fit well!

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
I have a work bench....somewhere under all the stuff I've left on it! :dunno: Darned if I don't usually have to clear it off before I can use it, though. Actually, my work area is pretty simple, but then I've never worked on anything really big and I don't do things like welding or machining that others are really skilled at. Mostly walk behind mowers. I do have a stationary work bench where I have a vise, grinder and parts washer set up, but otherwise, my work bench is sort of portable.

When the need to get things up off of the floor comes up, I have two of those foldable work mate things that have the adjustable tops that will clamp together. I took a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood that's roughly 4' X 4' (or so), screwed a 2 X 4 down the middle of one side of it and clamp that 2 X 4 into the jaws of the work mates that are pushed together under the plywood.

I can pull the top and work mates out and set them up in the middle of the garage floor to work on when needed. To work on an engine alone, I drilled a hole in the plywood large enough to drop the PTO end of the engine through so it sits more firmly on the bench rather than all cockeyed on the PTO. The size of the plywood platform makes it handy for me to get all the way around what I'm working on without having to turn or flop it around too much. Sometimes it helps to tack or clamp a strip of wood around the edges of the plywood bench top in case the thing I'm working on has wheels. Keeps it from rolling off the bench while working on it.

When done, the work mates and top can be disassembled and put off the side opening up the garage floor again.

I have rolling tool boxes that I can wheel right up next to my work area so the tools I need are closer, and I can put the tool right back in its place in the tool box when I'm done so I don't spend time trying to remember where I laid it down last.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
WB's I put on a Workmate. Engines go on a 1/2" steel plate attached to my main work bench.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
I don't have a real workbench, so I just have to bend over or sit on a bucket to work on things. If I have a lot of work to do on an engine, I usually just go ahead and pull it so I can throw it up on a table.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
We are the Tool man garage. Overkill. A BendPak MD-10 lift for cars. It acts like lift for tractors and with some plywood mowers fit well!
What in the world is that?

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The floor of my shop has a large rubber mat on it which I keep quite clean, So I usually just sit cross-legged and work on stuff down there.. I've never really had the desire to invest in a Mo-Jak Or something like that.

My actual work bench is actually a couple of small tables set next to each other with a large piece of paper over the top, That way when the paper gets filthy and ripped I can just throw it out and put down a new piece.

I'll post some photos tomorrow.

-Stan

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
What in the world is that?
Smitty, that is the worlds weirdest leaf blower! :)
Owned by the worlds cheapest lady! LOL Dad is still miffed over it some! :)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Very neat and organized. :cool

·
Registered
650 Posts
my work bench is out of the question to use so I use two saw horses and a piece of 3/4 plywood to work on the push mowers, the riders are done on the floor or if need be a floor jack to lift a little...gonna have to use the idea of of fabricating some sort of lift for the push mowers...the older I get the harder it is to lift them

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I have some carpet on the floor to make it more comfortable.
That can definitely make things more comfortable when you're having to lay on the ground!

my work bench is out of the question to use so I use two saw horses and a piece of 3/4 plywood to work on the push mowers, the riders are done on the floor or if need be a floor jack to lift a little...gonna have to use the idea of of fabricating some sort of lift for the push mowers...the older I get the harder it is to lift them
Nothing wrong with a little basic ingenuity to get the job done. :2th:

·
Registered
6 Posts
A little late chiming in here. I have a riding mower lift. My buddy and I made a small table out of scrap wood that fits on the lift. Hand mowers or snow blower fit well. Strap them down and lift takes them up to 36 inches.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
A little late chiming in here. I have a riding mower lift. My buddy and I made a small table out of scrap wood that fits on the lift. Hand mowers or snow blower fit well. Strap them down and lift takes them up to 36 inches.
Hey, that sounds pretty handy. Do you have a picture or two of it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts