My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell us what your fantasy mower is. Here's mine:

1) 1989 Craftsman 22-inch body, handle, engine shroud, front-wheel gear drive, front wheels, electric start, & Lift-Top catcher.
2) 16-inch metal-spoke rear high wheels (You know, the huge wheels from back in the day!)
3) 8.75-torque engine to go underneath the engine shroud, with appropriate decals for the front gear drive cover.
4) A bikini-clad Mickie James, Jennifer Love Hewitt, or Emma Watson presenting it to me. :D

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Cool thread idea! :ThumbUp:

It sounds like your dream mower would be a very feasible project with some creativity!

Let's see, my ultimate rotary walk behind would be based off of a modern day Honda HRC216 Commercial, only with some upgrades consisting of:

1. Pneumatic tires

2. Full independent suspension on all four corners

3. Selectable AWD/4WD with front and rear locking diffs

4. Fuel injection

5. Liquid cooling just because

6. + 5-10hp to drive the heavier tires, wheels and drive train

7. Parking brake

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
1)Full remote control operation from inside the house including...

2)Four wheel drive.

3)360° camera view.

4)Automatic bag emptying.

5)Automatic blade height adjustment
6)Small on-board nuclear fuelcell that never needs recharging or refueling feeding a bank of high powered capacitors to run it all. :ThumbUp:

The fun and interesting part of discussions like this is nearly anything we come up with here is doable given deep enough pockets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thread idea! :ThumbUp:

It sounds like your dream mower would be a very feasible project with some creativity!
Thanks, and I agree; my dream mower does sound quite possible...except for that fourth condition. :D

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Well, we can always dream, can't we.

Let's see, right off the top of my head to start with, mine would have,

-A Honda GXV series engine
-Hydrostatic transmission
-Shaft drive
-Ball bearings on all four wheels with grease fittings
-Electric start
-Either aluminum or polymer deck

And I'd like to be at the end of the assembly line to take possession of it the day it was made:cool

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
And better yet, watch it get built the whole way through while you're there.:cool:

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Thanks, and I agree; my dream mower does sound quite possible...except for that fourth condition. :D
;) Odds of my finding a slightly used nuclear fuel cell for mine and being allowed to operate it in a residential neighborhood are a bit sketchy too but we can always dream and use a workable substitute (AKA a battery in my case) in the mean time. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
ENGINE: Lawn-Boy "F" engine, same one as the 8155 had on it, with some kind of setup to allow an auxilary PTO perpendicular to the crankshaft for the Self-Propelled Drive System. Throttle lever modified to accept a standard throttle control cable.

DECK: MTD 362/364 Series Steel deck for the Self Propelled models, painted Sea Foam Green, and high gloss thick paint underneath.

DRIVETRAIN: Stock MTD 362/364 Belt/Chain drive with squeeze lever engagement. Rear axle beefed up from 1/2" steel to 1 3/4" thick stainless with ball bearings where the axle passes through the rear height adjusters. MTD BBC system for the blade, with a high lift 3-in-1 blade.

Wheels: 8" Ball Bearing steel rim tires, traction tread front and back, black plastic hubcaps up front, black steel clicker hubcaps in back.

HANDLE: 70's MTD "shopping cart" handle with 70's era steel squeeze lever, and modified to fit a BBC engagement bar that matches the handles top angle. Also has controls for Throttle, the Primer (like the Lawn-Boy 8125 and 8155), and engine shut-off.

GRASS CATCHER: MTD 362/364 Bag.

Basically put, easy to push, easy to maintain, easy to fix, and only needs gas about 4 times a season, and only requires emptying the catcher every 3rd of an acre. All of this was picked from personal experience.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
If anybody would like a stock Honda mower, and is willing to travel to the factory in Swepsonville, NC, I could probably arrange it. :cool:
Man, that would be awesome!

I would totally take you up on that offer if I lived in the area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Robert, you better listen up and forward this the higher ups!

Take the HRC216 that I use, make it use a pressure oil system with a filter, and hold 1 quart of oil for easy changes. Add a flip up guard for the throttle and drive controls so I don't kill the engine when I snag a branch! Also, how about brakes for going down a hill?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
ENGINE: Lawn-Boy "F" engine, same one as the 8155 had on it, with some kind of setup to allow an auxilary PTO perpendicular to the crankshaft for the Self-Propelled Drive System. Throttle lever modified to accept a standard throttle control cable.

DECK: MTD 362/364 Series Steel deck for the Self Propelled models, painted Sea Foam Green, and high gloss thick paint underneath.

DRIVETRAIN: Stock MTD 362/364 Belt/Chain drive with squeeze lever engagement. Rear axle beefed up from 1/2" steel to 1 3/4" thick stainless with ball bearings where the axle passes through the rear height adjusters. MTD BBC system for the blade, with a high lift 3-in-1 blade.

Wheels: 8" Ball Bearing steel rim tires, traction tread front and back, black plastic hubcaps up front, black steel clicker hubcaps in back.

HANDLE: 70's MTD "shopping cart" handle with 70's era steel squeeze lever, and modified to fit a BBC engagement bar that matches the handles top angle. Also has controls for Throttle, the Primer (like the Lawn-Boy 8125 and 8155), and engine shut-off.

GRASS CATCHER: MTD 362/364 Bag.

Basically put, easy to push, easy to maintain, easy to fix, and only needs gas about 4 times a season, and only requires emptying the catcher every 3rd of an acre. All of this was picked from personal experience.
That is Quite Feasible, Actually..

Mine would go something like this.

Ariens 21LM Frame, bag, handlebars, Swivel wheels
Lawnboy Dura-Force Gold, Suzuki 2Cycle

Also quite Feasible..

-Stan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts