My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We dropped our Craftsman LT4000 riding mower off at a local shop to have the deck belt replaced. I tried replacing the belt on my own, but the belt that was ordered did not fit correctly. That was the only thing that needed to be done. The lawnmower was working fine when we dropped it off, and drove around the yard with no problems whatsoever.

The guy called me to tell me that the repair had been completed at a cost of $50, which seemed reasonable to me. He goes on to tell me that now, after working on it, the lawnmower wouldn't move because the drive belt was toast. Now keep in mind that it worked fine before, and that he didn't mention having any problems moving it into his shop; the problems arose after he replaced the deck belt.

He replaced the drive belt and now the cost has gone from $50 to $190. Does this seem reasonable? Things seem a bit fishy to me, and that price ($190) seems absurdly high. I would just like some input from people that know a bit more about this than me.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,016 Posts
Hello,

We dropped our Craftsman LT4000 riding mower off at a local shop to have the deck belt replaced. I tried replacing the belt on my own, but the belt that was ordered did not fit correctly. That was the only thing that needed to be done. The lawnmower was working fine when we dropped it off, and drove around the yard with no problems whatsoever.

The guy called me to tell me that the repair had been completed at a cost of $50, which seemed reasonable to me. He goes on to tell me that now, after working on it, the lawnmower wouldn't move because the drive belt was toast. Now keep in mind that it worked fine before, and that he didn't mention having any problems moving it into his shop; the problems arose after he replaced the deck belt.

He replaced the drive belt and now the cost has gone from $50 to $190. Does this seem reasonable? Things seem a bit fishy to me, and that price ($190) seems absurdly high. I would just like some input from people that know a bit more about this than me.

Thanks!
Hi, It seems weird to have an issue with the drive belt as you don't go near this item doing a deck belt? How old is the machine? It was possible that it was cracked and failed with the guy, or he saw it damaged and it is the time to change with deck off. Some of the traction belts are a pain to change due to routing. He charged you for labor, not for price of belt. I think price was high to do it, but I not sure what a "professional" shop gets!
God bless!
Eric

·
1,329 Posts
For sure repairs at a dealer will cost more then we like to pay, just like no one like paying me when I show up with a wrecker. AND I understand.
I was wondering what part on the mower gave up and caused the belt problem to begin with. Was it the clutch assy.?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the paperwork he gave me, his hourly rate is $80. I think he said the drive belt was around $30. As far as him seeing that the belt was damaged when he had the deck off, he said that he didn't take the deck off to put the deck belt on; he only took the deck off to work on the drive belt. All he told me was when he started it up to move it out of his shop after installing the deck belt, that it would not move. So I'm not sure what exactly the issue was with it.

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
Was the drive belt and deck belt the same age?

Not to be defending the guy, but if the two belts were the same age, it's likely the drive belt needed to be changed as well. The only thing I can offer is that it may have been better for him to have let you know about the belt before changing it. Then again, it may be in your favor too, as it would have been quite the inconvenience to have gotten home only to have the drive belt fail and have to turn right around to take it back to the shop.

·
Administrator
6,291 Posts
The tech is the only one who knows but it might be that he noticed it getting cracked and wanted to head off a callback on it for a another problem in the near future. Drive belts can be a real pain which would explain the increase in labor costs. Sometimes you have to remove numerous things in order to get to them.

Did he give you back the old belts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I guess you guys answered my questions. I'm actually picking up the mower today, so I don't have the belts yet. I just wanted some input to make sure I wasn't being "taken to the cleaners." So I guess it appears that his charges are within reason. Thanks very much for your input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.