My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday I was driving the flat bed on deliveries as no other truck available. Going through the town I got a ticket in 25 YEARS ago, get pulled over. State trooper and trainee trooper! They say I was swerving all over, stated I was doing so to avoid the numerous potholes and sitting over front axle makes it a priority! Was super nice to them and my license is clean. They seem to have only found this to ticket me! Would have been nice to let me fix the problem right there! I had to go back with truck and a local officer checked it out and signed off on it. God willing judge throws it out on Monday.

Coworker fixed it and texted me this picture when I went to hospital.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
God willing judge throws it out on Monday.
If it's just for the plate fix, I don't think you have anything to worry about. It sounds more like a "fix it" ticket than anything else and the company's problem.

In any case, getting pulled over is definitely a heart sinking feeling. Don't beat yourself up over it as you were just doing your job and weren't up to anything malicious.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
:ditto:

Thing is, stuff like that can be used as a reason to stop a driver. Working night shift I often stopped people for having one head light or tail light. If all was good I would let them know they should take care of it. Many were not even aware of having only one light, so it could be handled in a positive way, but fact of the matter was, one in three was either revoked, suspended, had no insurance or had an outstanding warrant for criminal offense. Many cases it was a combination of all of the above. State Troopers in the area I lived recovered more stolen property, made more arrests on outstanding warrants, and seized more drugs than most local agencies from stops made based on simple equipment violations like your dirty license plate. An officer rarely knows who is behind the wheel and what their personal situation might be unless it was someone that was dealt with before.

I won't begin to say I know what the policies of the police agencies are in your neck of the woods, or how the laws are worded. Were I worked, yes, the person behind the wheel was ultimately responsible for the condition and operation of the vehicle they were driving regardless of whose name is on the registration. Would I personally have given you a ticket for that, not likely. Hey, it's a work truck, and it's spring, it's bound to be dirty. Now, if I saw a license plate looking like that on the back of say Austen's truck, I'd think the truck and plate were probably stolen.

Like Austen said, don't sweat it. Is it a pain in the hind end, yep. BTW, I still pucker up when I see a police car following me, even back in the day when I was driving one.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I don't blame officer, was a training unit. I got a ticket for plate and a fix it ticket for company. According to officer it should have been done 24 hours after. I was at Phelps hospital that day. I told officer this and he was cool. He back dated form . Bruce I remember you being a officer and value your opinion! Reason I made this thread really.

Reactions: bwdbrn1

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess this bothered me more as my stress level was much higher this week. Was nervous with Dr appointment on Tuesday and having officer basically looking for something to let his student write me up for! :(
Was funny when he told me I was swerving all over though! I almost was snotty!

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
With everything else you had going on, you didn't need this too.

Whenever I stopped somebody for speeding, the first thing I asked them was,
"Do you have an emergency you must tend to?" Ya' just never know, so I didn't ask for their license and proof of insurance until they answered.

It never hurts to explain your own situation to a cop when you get stopped.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bruce only thing I did was swerve around potholes and go 5 UNDER! The speedo is off compared to GPS. Made sure not to speed. Was proud of the fact I drove over 20 years without getting pulled over and 15 years without ticket!( Ticket was when motorcycle hit side of my van. I pulled out in front of him as he was tailgating to point I couldn't see him until last second. )
Wasn't mad about it at all until they made my boss go crazy trying to fix it. He is high strung, thought he was ticked at me. Made me stress out beyond my threshold!

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
.... He is high strung, ....
Many seem to be that way. If they aren't it probably means we are not doing our jobs as skilled and dedicated employees. ;)

Over the years I've had to refuse to drive the company trucks and risk getting fired on more then one occasion over safety issues. Bad enough to put our safety at stake but also someone else on the road all because they don't want to spend the money to fix something. State used to setup roadside vehicle inspections here in the past though they don't seem to do it much anymore. I remember one employee years ago managing to get stuck in one of those inspections while on a service call. Truck got new tires and a light bulb replaced after that. I asked him how far from his route he had to drive to get caught in that inspection and he would not answer. :D

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah Bruce, dad taught me that license IS your job! I always tried to be the guy not to stand out when driving! I do bad as everyone else at times. Just seemed blessed to have cloaking device! LLOL

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
YIKES! I is not going there!! ;)

Reactions: bwdbrn1

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nah Bruce, dad taught me that license IS your job! I always tried to be the guy not to stand out when driving! I do bad as everyone else at times. Just seemed blessed to have cloaking device! LLOL
I have a daily commute up 87 to Albany (90min)...so-far-so-good!

We started using Waze this past week (I'm ClassicCatfish if you need a friend :)). I wouldn't become completely reliant on it for where [they're] hiding. I'd say it helps....especially when there's an accident.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
YIKES! I is not going there!! ;)
Well, Rosendale sits on a curvy two lane highway, with some very limited lines of sight and only a few very short passing lanes. It is a shorter link between two major points on the map. It gets an awful lot of traffic, and much of it is heavy truck. What I've learned after all the times I've driven through there was that there was a horrible crash, and the survivors of those involved, have set up a special fund to pay for enforcement along that highway to see to it that folks are driving safely. I'll be the first to admit, I got caught speeding, I paid the fine, and in my case, I have to say I'm glad for the jolt back into reality.

I bought one of their T-shirts too.:)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Praise God I received a letter from court yesterday. All charges are dropped!! :) :ThumbUp::2th::^::howdy:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad to see charges were dropped. I think the issue was answered in your first post, you were stopped by a trooper in training with his training officer. There is a lot of pressure (sometimes self imposed) on new officers to show that they belong and ticket totals is part of that. If you were stopped by someone with a few years on you prob would've been on your way without the ticket. Like previous posters said there are a lot things officers use to stop a car just to see what else they can get (your dirty or bent plate is a prime example). Newer guys (in my experience) will tend to write that ticket even though they didn't find anything else. More experienced guys will just cut you loose and move on to the next guy looking for that "package". I have yet to write as many tickets as I did the first year I was hired.

Reactions: Ericjr16
1 - 20 of 20 Posts