My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a Yard Machines walk behind mower model # 11A-41MB029. It would start after a few pulls but only run with the choke on. Once you push the choke lever back in, it dies. So, I completely tore down the carburetor and soaked it for about 30 minutes. I put it back together and it starts easily and runs fine with the choke partially on but sputters when the choke lever is pushed in. Since this model carb is not adjustable, I can't take the mixture screw out and clean the hole it goes into. I figure that the carb is permanently clogged. A new carburetor is about $35 but I want to get a second opinion before I go ahead and order it. The carburetor is the problem, right? I would just hate to get a new carb and find that the problem is not even the carb at all. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Unless you were able to completely disassemble the carb and blow all the passages clean after the soak, there is a possibility that there still is some gunk in the carb. If a new one is @ $35 that may be a plausible option.
Are you able to clear the carb with compressed air after the soak?

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Did you take that big plastic phillips screw out and lift that oval shaped bit of plastic under it out?

Those carbs are very much like Keihin carbs. A little different, but pretty similar. The phillips screw adjusts the idle speed, and the oval bit is the pilot jet. Pull that out and shoot cleaner and air through it. Stick the tube from the cleaner into the little hole on the choke side and shoot cleaner into it. Watch at the other end and you should see cleaner coming out of the hole where the pilot screw is, and three more back behind the throttle plate. Drop a tiny bit of really light oil on the bottom of the pilot jet before pushing it back in. There is a little O ring at the bottom that can get hung up when re-installing. Shoot more cleaner through it after reinstalling.

If you go to this site, choose service, then service movies from the drop down menu, watch the movie on cleaning GX series carburetors. It shows how to clean those carbs, and the ones like them, and shows how to remove that pilot jet.

Honda Engines Europe EEC

Looks like you get the gaskets and insulator with a new carb, so that isn't too bad a deal either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did remove the plastic oval thing and I did blow out the passages when it was done soaking. The spot where I think the problem clog is the idle mixture screw which on this model, is not adjustable so it is impossible to clean out. Compare the attached pictures and you will see what I mean. So now, my main question is, will a new carburetor solve the problem or are these symptoms associated with any other engine parts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
I just cleaned a carb like that on a horizontal engine. Does cleaner shoot out of the pilot screw opening when you shoot it through from the other end?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try checking the gaskets... Sometimes they can cause some issues... Try soaking again and running a fine piece of wire through the passages..then blow air..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts