My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JD x500 starter started hanging a month or so ago but would release once it started. Now getting to where it won't hardly release - makes that awful dragging sound for a long few seconds after it starts. I'm assuming I'm going to have to replace it ASAP. I'm no mechanic, but can turn a wrench if necessary. Have changed a few starters on my old Ford 8N. Is this a do-it-yourself kind of job or do I just need to haul it to the JD place? Anybody got any guesstimates on cost? Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this a parts-swap kind of job or does it require serious dis-assembly/re-assembly work? Any special tools required? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
just a socket set, an open ended wrench set, and an adjustable wrench. take a photo with your phone

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
It should be pretty self-explanatory as mentioned.

You may need to remove the hood to gain more access.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, hopefully last question on this topic. JD dealer tells me they have a rebuilt one for about $250. (Think he said new was about $400.) I see DB Electrical on the Internet has a new one for about $70 w/free shipping. I'm guessing the $70 is made in China, but it has a 1-year warranty. Anybody have any experience with DB Electrical? Of course, I prefer US made, but sure is a very big price difference. I've put Chinese-made parts on my old Ford 8N (exhaust manifold and carburetor) without a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
just get the ebay one, you wont notice a functional difference and the starters only used for 5 seconds at most at a time on a good running engine

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto: 250 bucks for a rebuilt starter for an air-cooled V-twin is ridiculous. That's almost a third of the price of a new engine! Go with the aftermarket part.

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Another thought might be to ask around the auto shops and see if you have anyone local that still rebuilds starters and alternators and see if they would be willing to take a look at it or if they could even get the brushes and bearings, maybe a new gear (clutch assembly) to fix it.

John Deere parts shows an exploded view of it. Clutch is Ref# 11

John Deere - Parts Catalog

x500starter.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have a local shop that might possibly do it, although they are primarily automotive. Doubt that they could do it for the 70 bucks DB Electrical advertises for a new one, however. I agree with Motorhead12 that 250 for a rebuilt one is obscene. 400+ for a new one is beyond obscene! Thanks to all that replied.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a follow-up. Ordered the starter from DB Electrical. About $72. It arrived promptly. Looks identical to the original. Installed it and it seems to work fine!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Thanks for the update! Nice work! :ThumbUp:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts