My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my wife has just about done the deck in on my (actually her) John Deere 2005 X500. Too many hidden stumps/roots have jumped out to get her. It's been bent/unbent/broken/bent/rebent/welded for about the last time. JD wants about $1100 for just a new shell. I'm willing to go non-JD to save some bucks if that is possible. Does anybody have a good source to recommend? Would rather go new instead of used because it's going to have a hard life and probably needs all the help it can get. It's a 48-inch, 3-blade, and it has the retractable/rotatable wheels (could do without them if there's a big price difference). Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hi, I don't know of another deck source. Have you tried Google search?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Find a used deck somewhat close in size-design-configuration to yours. Find a good welding shop. Cut the hangar assembly from your old deck, alter spas necessary and attach to replacement deck. You may have to replace pulleys and mandrel assemblies as well, and of course the deck belt. I've done this with success from old style Husqvarna deck to a new style, did not have to change pulleys or mandrels, just belt and blades. Welder spent about 4 hours on it, reasonable enough. I wrapped a vinyl tape measure around where belt then had to go to come up with a measurement needed for new belt and was in business, spent about $250, including donor mower for the deck, welder, belt, and blades.

·
Registered
12 Posts
88Goldwing - did you find a good source for a deck? Wife bent ours up around the spindles. It was straightened but my need to be replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts