My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say that I have no idea what I'm doing lol as you will soon find out. I'm using my lawnmower for about 15 minutes today..it's running good and then all of a sudden it decides to stop. Fuel is full so I check the oil..oil is low so I go to the hardware store and he tells me what kind of oil I need after I tell him my model of lawnmower. I come home, put the oil in and it still wont start. After coming inside and doing some reading I realize that I just dumped 16oz of 2 stroke oil into a 4 stroke engine..please advise as to what my next course of action should be. Good news preferred Thanks for any help.

Its a Kohler xt-7 engine.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Hello, puckbag and Welcome to MLMF!

Your not alone and most who have done this rarely admit it :D!

Since it didn't start with the new 2 cycle oil in the crankcase - there wont be any problems. Best to drain the oil and use a good engine oil like 20W-40W (4 stroke/cycle oil) -or straight W30 for the summer months.

You didn't mention what kind of mower you have....but, I'm guessing it's a walk behind with the Kohler xt-7 engine size. Once you've changed your oil you might try tracing a fuel problem by 1- pulling the spark plug and see if it's wet after trying to start your mower, 2- make sure the vent in the gas cap is open by blowing through it and 3- locate and change your inline fuel filter as it may be clogged with dirt and debris.

Let us know what progress you've made and check back regardless ;)!

Mark777

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a technician at a shop that is an ariens dealer and lawnboy dealer, I see this problem with those engines all the time. They are chinese engines that kohler put their name on. The carburetors that came with the engine are garbage. The needle gets stuck closed. They have an updated carburetor and in canada where I am the price tag on them is in between $40-50. Fully assembled. I believe the part number is 18 853 05-s. I could be wrong on the part number as i am not at work and can't go take a peek and see if it's right

1 - 3 of 3 Posts