My Lawnmower Forum banner

Wouldn't stay running, now won't start - Help!

8K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  motorhead12 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a Simplicity Broadmoor 14 Hydro model # 1692182 38in cut with a 14hp Kohler Command OHV engine. I'm having some issues with it starting & running that I'm hoping you all can help me with.
The issue I've been dealing with for a while is when I'm mowing it will run great for about a half hour or so then it will lose power & will die if I don't put it in choke. Once I put it in choke it will continue to run in choke for a minute or 2 but will die after that, then it would crank but would not restart for a while. The last couple of times I would try to start it cold I noticed I had to crank it more than normal to start it & the last time it spat out some black smoke once it finally did start. I have changed the spark plug, air filter, & fuel filter. There is a small nick in the fuel line just before the filter but I do see fuel in the filter when I'm trying to start it & when it dies & it's not leaking fuel. I have checked the float on the carburetor to see if it was stuck but it wasn't. Also the last time it died I attempted to jump it with my car to get it back to the house. It wouldn't start & after several tries it stopped cranking & all I hear now is a single click that seems to be coming from under the "dashboard" not down by the starter. Sorry for the long post & thanks for any help you can provide.

#2 ·
That could be a lot of things. If it has a mechanical fuel pump, that could be going bad. The ignition modules on these engines often burn out and work until they heat up, and work again when they cool down but that doesn't explain why it would run longer on choke.

#3 ·
I would lean more towards the fuel pump than the coil, as vortec suggests, because a bad coil will usually just die. Sometimes a bad mechanical fuel pump will lock up once it gets hot, stopping fuel delivery. If all you can hear is a click when you try to start it, that probably means that your battery is very weak and the bendix is engaging the ring gear without turning the engine over.

#6 ·
I used a screwdriver to jump the solenoid & got it to crank again so I must have damaged it while trying to jump it last time. A new solenoid is on its way, hopefully that will take care of that. I checked for spark & I do have spark. Obviously this is when it's cold, can't get it running to check it hot.
The fuel pump seems to fit, if it was failing before & now is completely broken. Is there a way to test it or should I just get a new one? As far as the gas cap goes it sounds like that wouldn't prevent me from starting it & that is my biggest issue right now.

Also, this is my first hydro mower & if I understand right I should be able to push it with the engine off by pulling the transmission release lever. I tried it with the transmission in neutral & the brake off but I can't get it to budge, am I doing something wrong or is it just another thing broken on this thing?

#7 ·
Also, this is my first hydro mower & if I understand right I should be able to push it with the engine off by pulling the transmission release lever. I tried it with the transmission in neutral & the brake off but I can't get it to budge, am I doing something wrong or is it just another thing broken on this thing?
It should. Try fiddling with different positions with the lever to see if it will disengage. I've found that sometimes the lever has to be in just the right position for it free wheel.

#8 · (Edited)
You can verify fuel pump if you can reach the carb bowl solenoid [or bolt] loosen it, does fuel drain out ? iF it seems like the amount that the bowl would hold...then pump is good...Not sure how you could have damaged your solenoid by "jumping it"...So may have more electrical troubleshooting to do yet...PS...Don't be tempted to push the mower if unable to release the bypass..will damage it...

#9 ·
It only started clicking after the last time it died & I tried to jump it using my car with the engine running. I've since read that's a no-no. With it hooked up to the car I tried several times (probably to many times) to start it until suddenly it would no longer crank & just made a single loud click from the solenoid area. Now even after fully charging my battery overnight on a charger it just clicks unless I bypass the solenoid with a screwdriver. When I do that it seems to crank great, it just won't start.
I'll check the bowl tomorrow & also get the battery checked just it case it's gone bad.

#10 ·
If it "cranks great" when solenoid is jumped..then your battery is fine..You definately have two, unrelated problems..as far as I can see...New solenoid installed ? If still unable to crank..recheck those safety switches..[brake/clutch pedal, PTO, and shifter..]
Let us know if you find gas in the carb bowl ,or is it near emty ?[your second prob]...

#11 ·
I checked the bowl again, bone dry. Ordered a new fuel pump installed it along with the new solenoid. The mower starts & runs like a champ so far.
I only mowed a small portion of the yard after installing them so the real test will be when I try to mow for a long period of time but I'm hopeful that those issues have been fixed. If not, I'll be back. Thanks for all your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.