My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hello my friend, knowing dad no he would not replace. If you could get a overhaul kit, I would though. Never hurts to have those parts laying around. Those type carbs are pretty good.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey Eric, Im going to test the float and see if its leaking. Then Ill get a new needle and float if needed, then reassemble and fire it up and see if it still leaks. If it does then Ill have to decide what to do next. Maybe if the fuel cutoff does its job I may just leave it as is. I really don't want to have to remove the carb. Got the tranny out, so Ill order some grease and some shift keys.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Sounds good! Don't blame you there! We have had to take carb off a few times due to the mystery leak! :( Those transmissions look easy to work on compared to some. Good luck!! I know the one we gave to our neighbor is still running, he likes it!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one coming, and I submerged the float in gas and didn't see one bubble so Im calling that part good. So when I get the needle jet Ill fire it up and see what happens.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I have one coming, and I submerged the float in gas and didn't see one bubble so Im calling that part good. So when I get the needle jet Ill fire it up and see what happens.
Nice work, let us know the results. :howdy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
That needle looks well worn to me. A new one won't have that groove where it was riding in the seat. That needle is probably the cause of your leak.

As far as I know a jet is a different part altogether. The jets are what you adjust to change the fuel mixture. Old carbs had a high speed and an idle jet that were adjustable. Some newer, cheaper carbs use a fixed jet that is not adjustable.

The needle is what the float pushes on to meter the amount of fuel in the float bowl. The jets meter the fuel from the bowl into the throat to be vaporized.

When the needle leaks, fuel doesn't stop pouring into the bowl, so it runs over and out the first place it can find. Needles sometimes come with a new seat, but it's not always necessary to replace both. The seat is more difficult to replace so try the needle first, but make sure the seat is clean with no deposits from old gas. Use a Q-tip or something soft so you don't scratch it.

Hope this was helpful to someone

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Goat, I actually saw a video of a guy spinning a q tip inside the seat, and thats what Im planning on doing. I got the needle valve today, so Ill have results in the next couple of days. Ill be so pumped if this stops the leaking. I know the float is suppose to rest parralel to the carb body, but im not going to remove the carb and turn it upside down to check. Im planning on standing it on end and checking that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts