My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not CNC technology This guy made everything at home on his lathe and drill press. It took 1220 hours (a year and a half?) to make the 261 pieces. Note the end-loaded crankshaft into the block, 12 individual cylinder heads, TINY rods and pistons, dual "underhead" cams with push rods to rockers in the heads. And, he did break-in runs using an electric drill driving the crankshaft!
Even if you're not an engineer, you'll love this!

Apparently the builder's name is Yesus Wilder and he only used three materials to build the engine. Stainless steel, aluminum, and bronze.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
That is truly unbelievable. I have a lot of respect for folks who can design and create such a thing! The shear commitment and dedication alone is something to be said in itself.

And to think I wouldn't be able to build anything remotely close to it if my life depended on it! :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to know what the compression ratios are for the diesel to ignite. I didn't see any rings on the pistons either although there were grooves for them, maybe they didn't show them being put on. A lot of patients and dedication devoted to his craft!

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's impressive. Watched it directly on youtube and wound up following other links related to micro engines. I didn't realize they were so many of them out there. Found a 1/3 scale Ford V8, A turbine made from soup cans, a Stirling made out of coke cans...AND found it was 1 AM before I knew it. Worth the short night to see peoples creativity and skills.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's impressive. Watched it directly on youtube and wound up following other links related to micro engines. I didn't realize they were so many of them out there. Found a 1/3 scale Ford V8, A turbine made from soup cans, a Stirling made out of coke cans...AND found it was 1 AM before I knew it. Worth the short night to see peoples creativity and skills.
:ROFLDid the same thing.....There always seems to be one more!

·
Administrator
6,234 Posts
Ain't that the truth. Watch one video, then another, then another, and another.... poof an hour or two is gone never to be found again. :eek:

Engines of any type and trains also get me every time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts