My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some times I think about how agrivating it is to purchase a new trailer and in six months the cheepwood floors are week from rot.
Its the cheapest wood that a trailer manufacturer can buy and after the trailer is built it might be a year or more of setting out in the weather and well deteriorated before we purchase the darn thing .
yesterday I replaced the floor in my 10 ft, tilt trailer.I used treeted 2X8s and 2X12s. While I was at it I painted it john deere green, painted the top side of the wood a coat, a little more help to shed the inclement weather.
The agrivating trailer and wood topic, 3 year ago I bought a 16 foot trailer, the first week a board broke threw. I mentioned it to the dealer, he said," go buy a new board,bring me the reciept." SAY WHAT?! what about the other boards? there old and weak also. " Well I cant buy all the boards because there not broke"
OK, so much for that. I bought all the boards and installed them.
I actually enjoy doing wood jobs so yesterday was a good day, right up to the point when I pulled something in my lower back. I was moving the trailer by hand, a wheel run up to a piece of wood that I had cut off, I gave a extra tug and dropped to the ground.
Guess I will have a couple days off.:bag:
I THINK I can still do things like I did when I was 50, its a brain game, My body thinks it can do anything, My brain is to weak to make a NO decision.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Yeah, you'd think they'd actually use some decent wood in the highest stress/wear part of the trailer body. I guess it's anything to save a dime.:( Looks like you've got some good replacements going in there!:2th:

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Paint the wheels yellow and call it a day :)
Hope your back feels better :^:

Oh, and put a small winch on the front, you'll thank me later.. :p

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Trailer looks good! The yellow would be cool, but it is YOURs!! You paint as you like, sorry to hear about your back. I know what you mean! My back is bothering me for a spell now. It takes a while to heal unfortunately!

Reactions: DrBailey

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like I said, I do intend to paint the side boards, But I wish I had a old set of 5 spoke wheels that would fit the trailer. I think that spoke wheels would look good painted yellow.:cool

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
When your able, it will look SHARP!!! ;)
Now you can plan your upgrades as you heal some!
I got to learn to stop and heal, my idea of slowing up is riding 40 miles on my bike in two days! :( LOL

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Used to be that when I felt bad I would get on the mower and mow grass, thats not a good idea when the lower back hurts.:ROFL I wont be laid up to long, thats just not me!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I know what you mean! I stopped riding my bike due to low back pain for over a month. It was killing me!! Then my job is warehouse/delivery of well pumps and sewer pumps, some Quite heavy! Had to save my back for work. Need paycheck more than fun! Then tractor work with dad took toll on me on weekends! I can't watch him work and not help!! :(

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Trailer looks good Doc! :ThumbUp: Next time put the baby Ford to work tugging on it. ;)

Yeah, back trouble is one of those things that seems once you have it it may get better but sooner or later it will be back again. (No pun intended.) Also seems like every one I know that has had surgery has had 2-3 surgeries and still have pain. First time I remember having it I was a young teenager and we were cleaning out my grandfather's tool shed after he had passed. The better of 30 years later of hauling TV's and appliances in and out of homes 5 days a week has not been helpful either. :rolleyes: But my father has had trouble for years and he was an accountant. Still think a lot of ailments are genetic and we are doomed to suffer from them eventually no matter what we do. :dunno:

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark, I set the trailer up by the garage with the 2010 JD, when I decided to manually move it,, the jd was setting less then 20 ft away. :dunno::bag: I need to realize my age and miles and use the tools that Im so lucky to have.
BTW, my back feels much better today,Ill be hitting 50 % in no time :sidelaugh

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ericjr,I like your quote about helping your Dad. " I can't watch him work and not help!!" I envy you and your Dad, I didnt get much time to do that with my Dad. But, we had some good times and I got memiories.:2th:

·
Registered
147 Posts
The trailer does look pretty good. I have wondered about the composite deck board they have out now. It wouldn't be paintable, but I wonder if it would last longer than standard treated lumber??? (I would have painted it red and gray myself)
:bag:
I feel your guys back pains. That's why I am retired now. Im on disability because in my past line of work I was in charge of bulk waste removal. By the time we were allowed to use our loader with the claw attachment it was too late for me. I WAS the loader and pitched washers, dryers, brush and other heavy items up over the side of a full sized International dump truck for 18 years...the same trucks we used for plowing and salting.

Now my "therapy" is to lay on the ground with a set of wrenches and sockets and roll around on my back for a few hours. I cant stand or walk long, but laying down I get lots done.......Now if I could get back up when I am done everything would be great!

(Sent from my wireless tablet with built in "Help! Ive fallen and cant get up!" technology):help::help::sidelaugh

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pocketraisins thanks for compilment and comments.
Red and gray? you must have or like 8-N tractors. I like them, if I had a full size N I would paint the trailer red & gray.
sorry to hear of your back problem, You for sure over worked it. I just pulled something over by my left hip, its doing better already. I have been tinkering around in my shop today,putting together a wood working area.
Im taking it easy and slow for now.:2th:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Don't anyone hate me (especially you Doc) but Im not so much partial to red and gray as I am NOT partial to JD. (Did I say that out loud, lol!)

·
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't anyone hate me (especially you Doc) but Im not so much partial to red and gray as I am NOT partial to JD. (Did I say that out loud, lol!)
OMGOSH, I thinks u did!!! Im not colored blind,cant say I ever met a mower or tractor that I didnt like.
I only have 6 green ones, but others also, and I forgive you , I think you are a OK GUY.:ThumbUp::ThumbUp::ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Ericjr,I like your quote about helping your Dad. " I can't watch him work and not help!!" I envy you and your Dad, I didnt get much time to do that with my Dad. But, we had some good times and I got memories.:2th:
Thank you DR!! We get on each others nerves as any family will, but we have a TON of fun when things go well! I really enjoy the time I get to spend with him, and the extra money has helped BOTH of us! Him in retirement, me with extra cash for bills and MORE Tractors! ;) :2th: :ROFL :sorry: :dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Pocket, I have had sooooo many colors, I is color blind!
I am a JD person AND a Sears Suburban fan now!!
Guess the only ones I am not too thrilled with are MTD newer stuff and maybe a Snapper Front engine machine! Otherwise, I am all for them! :howdy::2cents:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Maybe I should clarify a little... I am color blind with these things too and I don't "brand bash". My PERSONAL experience with them though, well is another story.

I have one now. I would trade it for a plastic grocery bag full of space, air and time in a heartbeat. It has to be the problem child of the entire run. The good thing is it was free....the bad thing is "free aint cheap".

Its not I am AGAINST John Deere, but I have not had anything personally but bad luck with them. Others have JD's for eons before they need anything beyond a tuneup, but ME? Noooooooo.........I always get the problem child of the entire run or the one that will nickel and dime me trying to get it to run properly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts