My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '98 vintage Craftsman 22", 6.75HP, front drive, pull start mower. (model 917.377590)

Worked great UNTIL, some bad floods we had in the area this past July. The garage had atleast 2 feet of water in it, therefore the mower was submerged.

I pulled it out before the water receded and put it on the deck at the time.

A couple days after the yard dried out, I took a closer look.

Changed the oil, drained the fuel tank, pulled the starter cord a few times with the plug out, put in a new plug and fresh fuel.

No start.

Checked for spark at the wire using a screwdriver to ground--- has spark. Has spark across the plug gap too. Drained the fuel again at the tank and at the fuel bowl. Took the carb off and cleaned with carb cleaner, but nothing appeared gummed up. Added fresh fuel.

Still no start. Plug getting wet with fuel each attempt.

Tried spaying carb cleaner into the intake, even tried starter fluid. Drying spark plug between attempts.

All it wants to do is pop and spittle fuel out through the air intake.

At this point, the Craftsman is destined to be a secondary mower, as I've since bought a nice Cub Cadet to use weekly. I just would like to get it going as it's in great condition appearance wise.

Any ideas?!?!

·
Administrator
6,218 Posts
Welcome to the forum Cub! :)

Since the plug is getting wet and sounds like you've already made every attempt to get the water out of the fuel system, my guess would be maybe water got into the ignition module and though it has not totally killed the module it's causing a spark timing problem.

·
Founding Administrator
1,251 Posts
I agree with Mark on his thoughts. I don't know if taking the module out and setting it out in the sun for a day or so would help or not. Maybe (this is a proven process on Lawnboys) put the coil in the oven for about an hour at 200 degrees and give it another try. Please keep us up to date on your findings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok started taking it apart....

got the starter grill and starter reel off... had to take off the throttle linkage and primer bulb plate to get to a bolt...

can't get the blower housing off... appears the fuel tank might be hanging up on it...

no more bolts that I can see.

I'm good with car and truck engines, but these small ones are still foreign to me. Any hints for getting to the coil?

·
Administrator
6,218 Posts
....I'm good with car and truck engines, but these small ones are still foreign to me. Any hints for getting to the coil?
Unfortunately Tecumsehs are somewhat foreign to me being more of a Briggs and Kohler guy. ;) We all have our skeletons. :D

Don't know if it will help much but here is the exploded view of your engine:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...7/1503500/10056563/00001?blt=06&prst=&shdMod=

(I entered your mower model number at the Sears Parts Direct side to bring it up.)

It looks like all your ignition components are contained with the coil Ref#100, Sears part number 440505, List $45.98 In-Stock

Brad's idea of cooking it in the oven is definitely worth a shot. That should vaporize any moisture that is still inside of it.

However we can take no responsibility for any injuries incurred when your wife finds out what you've been doing with her oven. :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
The fuel tank should just lift off-pull straight up. It's got 2 plastic clips that slide into slots on the blower housing. Once that's off you'll see 2 more bolts below each slot that the tank was hiding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts