My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older gear-driven Murray 5.0, it turns over well, the carb was cleaned and has spark but does not fire up even with starting fluid, it has fired for a second once but afterwards no matter what I try it won’t fire up again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This seems stupid but something I’ve come across a couple times, take the air filter off. I’ve put it all together before and air filter is wet or whatever and the engine can’t breathe so it won’t start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's a ton of youtube videos that walk you through this. Check out Mustie1 he fixes everything and Chicanic. Warning, these are addicting. It could have a bad cam and or be out of time, you may have to gap the flywheel, it may need new ignition parts. Does it have automatic choke? Is it working?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Right off the bat, it sounds like a timing issue. If it popped off once and now nothing it COULD have sheared the key on the flywheel. You can look and see if the "magnetic" pickup on the flywheel is adjacent to the coil when piston is at top dead center on compression stroke. You can take the spark plug out and CAREFULLY insert a pencil to touch the piston. Then carefully, by hand rotate the engine until piston reaches TDC. I think it's a 3/16" key stock, about 3/4" long. Tractor supply or even Home depot sells key stock. About 5 bucks a foot. You cut. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts