1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Low battery?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
It might be the valves out of adjustment. Very common issue with single Intek Briggs if that is what it is. Might be a solenoid issue.Kinda sounds like a bad electrical connection from solenoid to starter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I began to notice every time I turned the ignition, I heard something happening around the carburetor. I took the cover off again and found this...full of gas...not sure what's going on...

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
730 Posts
Seems your carb needle/seat is stuck open....Carb overflows, Fills cylinder with gas...liquid gas does not want to compress...Thus cranking is a problem....May just be a sliver of junk that's holding the needle from fully seating...doesn't take much..! I would remove the fuel line, remove the needle and float, blow compressed air backwards from seat out to carb nipple...reassemble and check for flooding....Also, if cylinder was full of gas...remove sparkplug and crank, carefully for expelled gas can ignite..

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
Probably have a bunch of gas mixed in with the oil in your crankcase too. You'll want to drain the oil and get that cleared out too before you run it. Gas makes for a very poor lubricant.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems your carb needle/seat is stuck open....Carb overflows, Fills cylinder with gas...liquid gas does not want to compress...Thus cranking is a problem....May just be a sliver of junk that's holding the needle from fully seating...doesn't take much..! I would remove the fuel line, remove the needle and float, blow compressed air backwards from seat out to carb nipple...reassemble and check for flooding....Also, if cylinder was full of gas...remove sparkplug and crank, carefully for expelled gas can ignite..
Probably have a bunch of gas mixed in with the oil in your crankcase too. You'll want to drain the oil and get that cleared out too before you run it. Gas makes for a very poor lubricant.
When I came back to look at it again, it seemed the gas had disappeared, so I tried it again, still didn't work...I think you guys are right that it got flooded...

I took the carb off again, and the needle seems to work fine. (though I only know how/have the means to inspect visually.)

It occurred to me to try to hand rotate the flywheel (I guess that's what it's called) and I heard gurgling. I tried again and again, which led to some yellowish yucky-looking gas spurting out the manifold. I did this a few times until it seemed the gurgle wasn't there. I tried starting it, not knowing what would happen, and the engine turned over! I put it back together, put just a little gas in the elbow intake, and was able to crank and run it for a bit. Afterwards, I did notice there was a little gas, or possible air gurgling out what I think was the breather tube. There was a little gas in the elbow intake, I think it came from the breather tube, but it may have been left over from what i put in to crank it up. I didn't think I put that much in though...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Your crankcase is definitely filled with diluted oil/gas now..Apparently you chose not to remove the sparkplug , and forced more gas everywhere when you hand turned.,...Don't run it till you change the oil...If your air temps are above 40 deg, I'd refill with straight 30weight...I would install an inline fuel shut-off valve, avail at HD , lowes, mower shop, etc...as you will prob flood again.....until you find out why..

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
When I came back to look at it again, it seemed the gas had disappeared, so I tried it again, still didn't work...I think you guys are right that it got flooded...

I took the carb off again, and the needle seems to work fine. (though I only know how/have the means to inspect visually.)

It occurred to me to try to hand rotate the flywheel (I guess that's what it's called) and I heard gurgling. I tried again and again, which led to some yellowish yucky-looking gas spurting out the manifold. I did this a few times until it seemed the gurgle wasn't there. I tried starting it, not knowing what would happen, and the engine turned over! I put it back together, put just a little gas in the elbow intake, and was able to crank and run it for a bit. Afterwards, I did notice there was a little gas, or possible air gurgling out what I think was the breather tube. There was a little gas in the elbow intake, I think it came from the breather tube, but it may have been left over from what i put in to crank it up. I didn't think I put that much in though...

Thoughts?
SIR!! You are hurting this engine trying to crank it with gas in piston AREA!! It can bend the piston rod!
The other issue is that gas had to go somewhere, the OIL!! This makes the oil GARBAGE!! You will wear the bearing out super fast! I have bought machines that were destroyed from this very issue!
Stop everything, clean or replace your carb, CHANGE the oil and remove the spark plug and crank the engine to make sure it is all drained out.
You got it to run, so doubt it has fuel in combustion area, but safer than sorry.
I don't want you to be asking us where to buy an engine. Main issue is your carb is either a bad float needle/seat or bad float.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Might be a good idea to pick yourself up a copy or two of some repair manuals if you don't have any. I did way back when I first started to tinker with small engines. Even just a quick look through some of the pages will be a great help to understanding more about small engines and what their various parts are. You can find them at a local library, but it's best to have them in your own library for reference. They come in handy, and can be found on ebay for pretty good prices.

PR 2 Briggs Stratton Single Cylinder Small Engine Service Repair Shop Manuals | eBay

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your crankcase is definitely filled with diluted oil/gas now..Apparently you chose not to remove the sparkplug , and forced more gas everywhere when you hand turned.,...Don't run it till you change the oil...If your air temps are above 40 deg, I'd refill with straight 30weight...I would install an inline fuel shut-off valve, avail at HD , lowes, mower shop, etc...as you will prob flood again.....until you find out why..
SIR!! You are hurting this engine trying to crank it with gas in piston AREA!! It can bend the piston rod!
The other issue is that gas had to go somewhere, the OIL!! This makes the oil GARBAGE!! You will wear the bearing out super fast! I have bought machines that were destroyed from this very issue!
Stop everything, clean or replace your carb, CHANGE the oil and remove the spark plug and crank the engine to make sure it is all drained out.
You got it to run, so doubt it has fuel in combustion area, but safer than sorry.
I don't want you to be asking us where to buy an engine. Main issue is your carb is either a bad float needle/seat or bad float.
Thanks guys...I didn't realize what I was doing was endangering my mower...So I've cleaned out my carburetor and float, etc again. Hopefully problem is solved...I changed the oil. I removed spark plug and cranked the engine. The flywheel spins pretty freely, but how do I know if gas is drained from where it shouldn't be? gas tank is empty, spark plug removed, fresh oil, but I haven't yet installed inline fuel shut-off... What next? thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
For safety and ease ,install a shutoff before adding fuel. All the fuel should be out now. This will save your new oil. You hopefully have it fixed now! We will help you if not!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts