My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever encountered a vibrating mower --and unable to see anything bent..or broken? I just bought a Honda HRR2168VKA , seller says he hit a steel pipe in ground...and Honda dealer told him its not worth repairing...3hr labor and new crankshaft...Now I own it...and puzzled as to why I cannot spot the wobble in crank or blade as rotated...even with plug out and fast pull...all looks fine...even measured each tip to deck..equal..I've only came across a couple before...both Briggs engines, flatheads, and easy to see wobble..This has me wondering..? Is it possible the flywheel key could be slightly sheared..? Usually causes a no run condition..this eng starts right up...Also, is it possible a hit can cause the timing belt [OHC] to jump a tooth..would that create vibrations ..? Any help appreciated....haven't taken anything apart yet..never did a flywheel removal on Hondas...Thnx

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I am by no means a "Honda Guru" but the crank could be bent internally. Slight shear would allow the engine to run but would still run poorly and I would say a jumped timing belt or gear would cause firing issues not allowing the engine to run very well if at all.
Just a guess, the connecting rod could have bent as well.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnx 5 pts...Never saw internally bent crank...or rod...but it does make sense...as I ev en had a magnet mount probe touching the blade adapter when rotating...and its perfect underside..Only other clue...the rpm's seem a little higher...seller said maybe it is faster than usual..I dunno...I never had this no throttle, single speed Honda...But I can' t relate to it..!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Our in-house Honda Guru is on vacation, but there are a few other Honda guys here who might chime in. Another thought though, if the flywheel has magnets on it maybe one or two got knocked off??

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thnx again....I know Bruce will respond to this when he returns...I can try to check magnet tomorrow...and taking a good look at flywheel is worth the time...Unsure if I'll try to remove it thou..Just bugs me as no visable damage after the hit...and seemingly "higher run speed", compared to my low cost Crapsman mower that mows at "low" speed, and the Gov responds quick..My other work with Hondas was allways with throttle control on handle..Sorry to see they did away with it...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
My neighbors Honda Jumped multiple teeth on the timing gear.. Almost killed it completely.. The muffler would glow orange and the paint burned off the metal hood...

Repair guy said the belt just got worn out.. I haven't trusted timing belts since.

-Stan

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Sounds like a bent crank. :2cents: A partially sheared key would cause rough running, but shouldn't cause vibration. It doesn't take much of a bend to cause vibration at 3600 rpm. You probably need a new crank.

·
Registered
459 Posts
As an exercise, you could tear down the engine and measure/inspect all the internals. No doubt something is not right.

But for the time and effort to do all that, you could just install another engine. Probably be had for < $100.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[email protected] think you are correct., must be a bent crank...but not externally..again had dial indicator mounted [but no dial], and full sweep shows no wobble touching it...Just hard for me to imagine what inside [any engine], could bend and not break apart..
I looked at the top section today...removed the flywheel nut...nothing looks twisted nor abnormal..no weights or pieces found...everything is LN...has 2 hrs runtime..I don't have honda flywheel puller...and sorta afraid to do the pry up and tap..so stopped...real shame to discard --but prob is less expensive procedure from here..
Thnx to all for ideas...if anyone else wishes to add...please do...

·
Registered
11 Posts
...real shame to discard --but prob is less expensive procedure from here..
Thnx to all for ideas...if anyone else wishes to add...please do...
If it was a GXV160 engine (commercial grade, cast iron sleeve, ball bearings, etc.) with only 2 hours of run time, I'd be more inclined to repair it. This engine, when properly maintained, can last decades in homeowner use.

However, the GCV160 isn't commercial grade and, even when properly maintained, won't last anywhere near as long in homeowner use as a GXV160. Therefore, IMO, as inexpensive as these engines are, it isn't worth the time, work, and parts to repair one. Again, just my :2cents:.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If it was a GXV160 engine (commercial grade, cast iron sleeve, ball bearings, etc.) with only 2 hours of run time, I'd be more inclined to repair it. This engine, when properly maintained, can last decades in homeowner use.

However, the GCV160 isn't commercial grade and, even when properly maintained, won't last anywhere near as long in homeowner use as a GXV160. Therefore, IMO, as inexpensive as these engines are, it isn't worth the time, work, and parts to repair one. Again, just my :2cents:.
+1 tarheelman is spot-on with his comments.

If you want to tinker, either engine is easy to work on, and parts are plentiful. Just keep in mind your time is worth something, as well as frustration (or fun?) trying to find the real problem.

Generally speaking, most professional shops would opt to just replace the motor, as it would cost way more in labor/diagnostic time to try and troubleshoot and repair the old engine.

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
:ditto:Honda GCs are decent motors, but for something like a bent crank and possible damage to other components, I'd just get a new one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts