My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
O.K., if I were to set out from my place on a trip in search of the best eatin' BBQ in the country, where would I head to first, and where else would I venture off to next? I'm looking for a Drive Ins, Diners and Dives sort of trip that's all about the food, the scenery along the way, and the people you'd meet kind of trip.

If somebody were to ask where I'd go in my home town I'd point them to Jim's Rib Haven.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jim's+Rib+Haven,+24th+Street,+Rock+Island,+IL&hl=en&ll=41.519632,-90.566311&spn=0.057323,0.110378&sll=41.465132,-90.591912&sspn=0.114743,0.220757&oq=jims+r&t=h&hq=Jim's+Rib+Haven,&hnear=24th+St,+Rock+Island,+Illinois+61201&z=13&iwloc=A

Either eat it there or get it to go and carry it across the street to the Bent River Brewery, if you're so inclined, and have a Paddle Wheel Ale with it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bent+River+Brewing+Company,+24th+Street,+Rock+Island,+IL&hl=en&ll=41.517961,-90.566826&spn=0.057325,0.110378&sll=41.519632,-90.566311&sspn=0.057323,0.110378&oq=bent+river&t=h&hq=Bent+River+Brewing+Company,&hnear=24th+St,+Rock+Island,+Illinois+61201&z=13&iwloc=A

I'd like to hear what your favorites are. I'm drawing up the map for my trip as we speak.:cool

·
Registered
459 Posts
My top three...if you happen to be in the area(s).

Louisville, KY:
Mark's Feed Store. Come for the pulled pork and mustard sauce, stay for the seasoned fries, and slip in to flavor Nirvana for the buttermilk pie...

Louisville's Best BBQ Restaurant - Mark's Feed Store

Atlanta (northside):
'Cue. Incredible portions, perfect Texas garlic toast, creamy/crunch mac-n-cheese...

Cue Barbecue

Brandon/Tampa, FL:
First Choice Southern BBQ. They starting lining up around 11:00 am, and you can hear the distinctive sound of twin cleavers as they chop up the pork while you watch. Great sauce selections and super-friendly service.

First Choice Southern Bar-B-Que - Follow The Smoke To Everyone's Choice

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Okay, note to self.

*Don't view this thread on an empty stomach! Seriously!*
:sidelaugh

I recommend Wood Ranch BBQ & Grill. I used to go there with my family when I lived in Southern California. They had good sauces and a nice selection.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mmmm...this could be a looonngg trip! O.K., where else?

Let's make a list here for everybody to try out, not just me.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I was going to say "If you ever come up to northern Ohio"

But then I realized... I've honestly never eaten at a barbecue restaurant.. It's not that I don't like them.. Just Me and my neighbors have cook-outs all summer.. So I have no need!! :p

-Stan

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wife and I went to Jim's for lunch at their East Moline, IL restaurant today and they were just as good as ever.

Come on folks, there's got to be more out there!

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Well, my excuse is I live on Long Island. Not exactly the hot bed of BBQ. We have some pretenders, but they're just fancy cloths on a toad. If anyone knows of a good one, a real one, in my neck of the woods I'd love to hear about it. Until then, I guess I'll just envy you folks.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Hmmm, North Carolina is a hotbed for Bar-b-que. Do you want Western NC or Eastern NC style? White slaw or red slaw? In Salisbury try Winks, Hendricks, or Richards. In China Grove go to Porkys or Johnsons. In Lexington, well take your pick. Red Pig at Greasy Corner was always good.

Reactions: bwdbrn1

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
In reality it's at the intersection of highways 601 and 801 near Cooleemee NC. There used to be a gas station on every corner so the locals started calling it Greasy Corner.

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was just looking over the copy of Guy Fieri's book, Diners, Drive Ins and Dives that I have, and there seems to be a big hole right in the middle of the country.

Anybody got any suggestions on great places to eat in the southern Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee area?

·
Registered
12 Posts
O.K., if I were to set out from my place on a trip in search of the best eatin' BBQ in the country, where would I head to first, and where else would I venture off to next? I'm looking for a Drive Ins, Diners and Dives sort of trip that's all about the food, the scenery along the way, and the people you'd meet kind of trip.

. I'm drawing up the map for my trip as we speak.:cool
Digging an old thread up from the smoking coals :eek:

An introduction of what you may run across over the southern section of your trip :2th:

·
Premium Member
6,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the tip. Sounds like some good eats and we'll have to put it on our list.

Judy and I had a great trip last year, and had lots of super good BBQ, some great craft beers, and the closer we got to the Atlantic coast, we found some terrific sea food too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts