My Lawnmower Forum banner

Which would you rather have - DuraForce 10323 or F powered L21SZM

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Capstan 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I'm thinking of adding a newer LB to my fleet. I've found a few nice ones on craigslist locally, but I'm stuck trying to choose between a super clean fully rebuilt 1992 L21ZSM or an almost new 2003 10323 Dura Force. I know both of these mowers are some of the best later Lawn Boys, I just can't seem to be able to pick just one :ROFL
Opinions?

#2 ·
In my opinion the F engine Lawnboy is one of the best ever built although there will those who will swear by, (or at) the Duraforce. The Duraforce is rated at 6.5 HP and when well tuned and modified will not surge and is hard for anything to stop it. The power of the F engine Lawnboy is more than adequate at 4.5 to 5 HP and they are very light mowers as well. I could not find the S21 model you listed on the Lawnboy site. I did find some S21 models that were close. Is the one you are looking at a steel or aluminum deck? I am not a fan of steel deck mowers as they tend to rust if not meticulously cared for. Aluminum will pit underneath if not cleaned out as well. My personal choice would be a pre 1983 Lawnboy push mower with an aluminum deck for ease of maintenance and use. The less bells and whistles, the better. My favorite mower of all time is my 1975 model 5025 Bricktop. Good luck in your search. Bill

Reactions: VolvoCor
#3 ·
1992 Lawn Boy
Yard Nazi, here's a link to the 1992 F powered model. Looks to be in great shape and like it has the aluminum deck!
I agree with you though, I much prefer the earlier models. I have my '77 7260g with the aluminum deck and D engine, and I love how featherlight and manouverable it is! If only it didn't have the stupid all plastic modular carburetor that makes it run like crap whenever it feels inclined to.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
From that picture it appears to have a steel deck. Engine says rebuilt but no details? Check for excessive wear on left side as steel deck can become very thin. Probably well worth the money but just not my top pick. Self propelled would have to be a three speed model with aluminum deck. Do you need a self propelled? Bill

On a side note I think I previously mentioned that you can purchase a different reed plate and install the regular style carb instead of the modular one. Search model 5273 (1975/1976) on the Lawnboy site. They show both styles as this was about the time of the changeover.

Reactions: VolvoCor
#5 ·
Now that you mention it I do notice it's a steel deck! Well that's out then! I did find a few of the Gold model with the 3 speed self propelled that might be worth checking out. Those for sure have the aluminum deck!
I didn't know I could buy a different reed plate and fit the better carburetor to my 7260! Boy if I just fix the carb and get new wheels on this baby I might not even need another LB! (Wont stop me from wanting them all though)
Thanks for the tip as always! You're a fountain of knowledge and an excellent resource sir! I'll check with my local small engine shop to see if they can get me the parts when I go to get some more lawn boy oil this weekend!

#6 ·
If the mower you are talking about is the lawnboy above that is the Aluminum deck. I have a few of those and its aluminum 100% sure.

Those modular carbs are terrible.

You left out the option of both;) Don't forget that.

Either one of those will mulch 10X better than that Honda.

#7 ·
I would pick an aluminum deck "F" engine, if the engine has been rebuilt. They are strong and the engines seem to be much better built than the "V" series or DuraForce. However, for self-propelled I much prefer the system adopted on the "V" and Duraforce late models over any other LawnBoy self-propelled design.

#8 ·
I'd probably go for the 10323 Personally, The L (L standing for "Lightweight") series weren't really Lawn-Boy's shining hour in my opinion, they were a mower marketed to big-box stores and as a low end mower for sale at Lawn-Boy dealerships.

They had a thin steel deck, A mediocre (at best) Self propelled system, and with the modular carb were prone to poor starting and flooding issues.

For the period, I would rather go with an S series (S standing for Supreme) such as an S19ZPN or S21ZSN Which is essentially the same mower, But with an aluminum deck and a better carburetor. Still not Lawn-Boy's best, but better than the L series.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.