My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, so I am in the market for a new mower and want a Hasq. I have about 3 acres to move mostly flat in back but about 5 degree slope out front. I would also like to use it for light chores like moving wood and dirt in a trailer. Maybe get a plow or blower for the snow.

I am thinking of the YT series and was wanting direction on which engine and which transmission? I understand the Kholer courage has issues but of brigs and kowasoki or some other Kholer engine what do you all suggest. Also is there more then one option for transmissions?

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I would look into a heavier version of your preferred Huskavarna YT tractor. The Kohler Courage engine are somewhat questionable. A Kawasaki would be a good choice as is a Briggs. Best thing is to visit a store and compare them. The fabricated deck would be great but price may be an issue!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think in looking at the Hasq web site I have a choice of a b&s intek or endurance both are v twins. Is one better then the other?

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
From what I've been able to gather the Intek is built by B&S and is used on various types of machines including lawn and garden tractors.

The Endurance is built by B&S for Husqvarna. It's what they call a Husqvarna Exclusive so you won't find it on any other equipment except Husq. They also say it's Heavy Duty and it features Ready Start for Ride Technology. Automotive-style, no choke easy starting. Just turn the key or push the button and go. You won't have to choke the engine unless it below freezing then you will move the throttle into the snowflake zone aka choke for it to give more gas to start. '

Whether one is better than the other... Who knows? :dunno:

John Deere does the same with their engines. Branded JD but built by Briggs. Some say it's a marketing thing. But I believe the brand has had the manufacturer make adjustments to the engine to meet their needs.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions! :idea:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just ordered a GTH52XLS with the B&S Endurance. Really wanted the Kawasaki But that model is not available with a locking diff. The GTH52XLS has an electronic locking diff. Personally I wanted nothing to do with the Kohler. My 8yr old yth2454 has a Briggs, and I must admit it has never given me a lick of trouble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All good info to have - tell me why you wanted the locking differential so much - is that more for pulling or hills ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
hills wet grass and dragging the driveway. Plus I hope to keep this a loooong time and didn't want to be wishing it had it later. If not for that , I would have gone with the Kawasaki gt. It was a tough trade-off for me to decide on. The Kawasaki gt does have the "fast" hydro trans if that is important to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Husq. GT54LS has locking differential. I think it is well worth the money. If one wheel starts spinning just stop the machine, turn on the locking system, give it a couple of seconds to activate and drive away.

Husq. claims you can leave it on but it steers a bit hard kind of like a four wheel drive truck going slow. You can feel the torque steer.

My dealer cautioned me to be sure and give the actuator a few seconds to activate the system.

Good luck with your new ride. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts