My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In America, is the GSV190 only sold as a replacement/crate motor?

I have seen it [the GSV190] used on "Buffalo Bull" push mowers in Australia, but nothing seems to actually be offered with the GSV190 already installed in the American market.

Are they designed to be direct replacements for other GCV engines? How easy is the swap?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Are they designed to be direct replacements for other GCV engines?
It's basically a GCV190 with a cast iron cylinder liner and three-piece oil control.

Billy Goat uses them...

Reactions: Scrubcadet10

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty sure they threw an extra bearing in there, or replaced a bushing with ball bearings... either way, I have seen it referenced that it has a beefier bearing system compared to the regular GCV's.

And that iron cylinder sleeve helps me sleep at night. Something about an aluminum cylinder wall gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Figured I have to plant my flag somewhere, and I actually kinda like the GCV160, so I figured I would see about stepping up to the better built GSV190 if I could justify it... I was hoping I could kind of standardize powered devices to all run off of the GS190/GSV190.

Pretty sure Honda has their own line of engines for generators, but it would be nice to find a generator with the GS190 motor. There is still the aforementioned Toro 22155 push mower with a GSV190, and a Simpson PowerShot pressure washer with a GS190.

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like I am after a dying breed, though. Honda appears to be replacing the OHC GC160/190 engines with OHV GC170/200 engines. There are probably enough GS190's and GSV190's already out there to last me the rest of my life, so I am not too worried about it.

And, while I do like "cam-in-block" architecture, there is something about the OHC thing Honda had going on with the GC160/190 that I kinda appreciate. Despite Honda's apparent shift away from their little OHC engines, I think I will continue to seek the GS190 and its GSV190 vettical shaft counterpart. I actually prefer the vertical shaft configuration because it puts the timing belt completely in the oil. I know the OHV do not have to worry about timing belts in either configuration, but that is largely irrelevant.

Even if I cannot find a generator using the GS190, I can probably figure out how to "engine swap" a generator. Can't be too difficult...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Honda appears to be replacing the OHC GC160/190 engines with OHV GC170/200 engines.
New GCV Over Head Valve Engines
Honda’s All-New GCV pressure washer engines offer an overhead valve (OHV) layout. The OHV design, new V-shaped valves and a pent-roof shape of combustion chamber enable air in cylinder to flow more smoothly increasing combustion efficiency, allowing for higher compression ratios and greater power output.
The OHV layout, with enhanced valve positioning and combustion chamber, the new GCV170 pumps out an increase in torque of 18 percent and a nine percent horsepower gain over the GCV160; GCV200: also showed a strong increase in torque of 13 percent and 10 percent horsepower gain over the GCV190

·
Registered
193 Posts
Even if I cannot find a generator using the GS190, I can probably figure out how to "engine swap" a generator.
Most Honda-powered generators use the superior GX Commercial Grade engines, probably the best small engines ever designed. Downgrading to a GS doesn't seem logical. :unsure:

There's a reason that the GX/GXV engines have an extra year of warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find this interesting...

GCV160:
OHC
160cc (9.8ci)
2.5" x 2.0" (64mm x 50mm)
8.5:1 static compression
4.4hp @ 3600rpms
6.9lb-ft @ 2500rpms

GCV170:
OHV
166cc (10.1ci)
2.36" x 2.32" (60mm x 59mm)
8.0:1 static compression
4.8hp @ 3600rpms
8.2lb-ft @ 2500rpms

GX160:
OHV
163cc (10.0ci)
2.52" x 1.77" (64mm x 45mm)
9.0:1 static compression
4.8hp @ 3600rpms
7.6lb-ft @ 2500rpms

In juxtapose to my OHC GCV160, the OHV GCV170 has +6cc, but is down half a point of static compression. The OHV GCV170's crank has +9mm more stroke, but that just means the bore is smaller (-4mm)... and the valves are undoubtedly smaller to match.

I know a lot of magic can happen with proper valve events, so I am assuming the OHV GCV170 just has a far superior cam profile... compared to the OHC GCV160... to explain the extra torques. The extra 6cc of displacement is definitely a factor, but the lack of static compression seems it would negate any benefit. Maybe that additional stroke and little bit of extra piston speed provides better pull throw the intake runner/carb?

The GX160 doesn't confuse me, at all. Big bore probably provides a decent coefficient of discharge for nice big valves. Screw mechanical leverage related to stroke, bump up static compression, and it obviously has a relatively decent cam profile for its purpose.

However, I remain dubious of the amount of torque the OHV GCV170 is claiming...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Honda EB2800i is a 2800w generator that uses the GC190LA engine... which could easily be swapped for the GS190LA.

That gives me the Toro 22155 push mower, Simpson PowerShot 3400psi pressure washer, and Honda EB2800i generator... all using the same GS190/GSV190 engine.

Quincy makes a "wheelbarrow" air compressor with the GX160... which could probably be swapped with a GS190 if I really cared to do that. I would probably just get an electric air compressor and plug it into the generator if it came to that. Although, I could probably do that with a pressure washer... and a lawn mower. Lol. Hmm, maybe I will get a gas powered air compressor. I would need one that can fill HPA tanks, though, so that Quincy "wheelbarrow" isn't going to get it done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts