My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cub Cadet 1211 Hydro with a Kohler M12 AQS 12HP horizontal. I ran it one time last winter and didn't check the oil. The result was a broken connecting rod. Before I dig too deep into repair I'm looking for replacement options. I've found a running M12 for sale out of a Wheel Horse tractor. On the WH the engine is mounted sideways. Would I be able to use this engine on my Cub if I swap over the components and mount it inline? I'm fairly new to small engines so any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
The first issue that comes to mind is the internal oil pump set up. Depending on location you may starve the engine for oil. If no pump, some rods have dippers or slingers that splash oil on to the internal components and the set up may differ with the engine configurations.

I have never swapped a horizontal for a vertical before so I can't tell you if you can convert them or not but maybe someone will chim in with some other advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both M12s are mounted horizontally. The difference is the WH has the motor facing sideways similar to a FWD car where as the Cub has it mounted front to back. I did a lot of searching on the web today and it's looking like the crank might be longer on the WH and the block/oil pan may be different not allowing it to fit the Cub. I guess I'll have the crank checked at a machine shop and see if it's usable.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
OK, let us know how it turns out and good luck, hopefully she'll check out good.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The only issue you may run into is on the PTO side of the engine (IE the side which faces the ground) Kohler had a few PTO gear train covers for this engine which are sized according to use. As long as the shafts are the same length and diameter, the swap will be really simple! If the crankshaft is too short or a different diameter, you can swap the crank and cover from the other engine, but it becomes complicated fast!

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts