My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What odd ball hobby(s) do you have?
:dunno:
When not turning wrenches, painting your restoration project or cutting your grass, what do you do with that little bit of spare time you have to "Get away from it all"?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Fishing, Boating, 4-Wheeler Riding, CB Radios, Gas Powered RC Trucks, Wine, Scotch, Cigars, Travel ......... To much :bag:

·
1,329 Posts
Summer, yard work-all I can get. building ,onto the garage and a constant adding on to my home.
redoing old lawn mowers and lawn tractors, and a few old farm tractors.
building hot rods, cars and trucks. collecting knives , collecting old tools.
Used to have several motor cycles, wife talked me into selling my last three a few years ago(chicken) lol
used to collect hats, I gave almost all of them to one of my Grandson's. There all wainting in line for my knives, I just hate to part with them right now..

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
First off,

How about you, Bruce? What are your other interests/hobbies/passions?

For me, anything and everything that relates to motor and wheels. I enjoy traveling to car shows and related events, appreciation, maintaining and enjoying our restored '53 GMC truck as well as my own truck.

I am also a huge motorcycle enthusiast as well. I love every aspect about motorcycles from riding them to the maintenance and customization side. I have enjoyed riding motorcycles most of my life, owning and riding many different types and have a lot of fond memories riding with my Dad growing up over the years who is also very much into the sport. I am however smitten after having lived in SoCal for two years and now will only street ride on nice sunny, warm, days. That leaves only a few months of the year here to that around here, but that type of weather makes all the difference for me. My current bike is a 2010 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP and unlike other bikes that I've owned in the past, I don't ever see myself selling this particular one. Because it's in hibernation, the next best thing is to work on the bike. Right now I've got it torn apart in preparation for a velocity stack kit that I will be installing on it.

Other than burning fuel in combustion chambers, I really enjoy hiking and going on nice walks down to the lake on a sunny Friday evening after work or school. Catching a theme here about the sun? I am also a snowboarder, but have not been up since I moved back from California which is something that has bugged me and need to do. Going to movies is another activity I love as well as, boating, spending time with family, traveling, and always going out for dinner.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I Have an Incredibly large collection of model trains, Most of which never get used due to the messy state of my basement where I was Supposed to be building a model train layout :bag:

My other Hobbies Include:
Gaming (Wayyyy Too much)
Eating
Animation (awful at it though)
Making, Editing and Uploading Youtube videos
Playing Country music on the guitar (Also Not very good)
Biking
Drawing
Making lists
Etc.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have several Fire Service & Dalmatian related items (over 1000 pieces); mostly toys, some extinguishers, "collectibles", etc. Spent 29 years in the fire service!

Picture is just a small part of it! ~~ grnspot

Attachments

·
Ret. Moderator
498 Posts
At the moment I collect old US Military uniforms , but license plates , collect and restore old tonka trucks , commercial lawnboys , you name it I have it or had it . Before I was married I collected Mustangs ... all at one time I had a 1970 Mach 1 , a 1972 fastback , 1978 Gia and a 1998 GT .... still own the GT it has 13,500 original miles.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
I Have an Incredibly large collection of model trains, Most of which never get used due to the messy state of my basement where I was Supposed to be building a model train layout :bag:
Electric trains? If so, what gauge?

I have an 0 gauge Lionel train set I used to set up around the tree at Christmas time but haven't had it out in years. My cousin and I really got in to it when we were younger and would take up a whole room with track and setup scenes like you described.

They are a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Those are amazing!
Did you do the restoration work yourself?

I don't think I would have the patience for something like that, I barely have enough for restoring Mowers let alone something so small and fiddly.

Either way, :2th:

·
Ret. Moderator
498 Posts
Yes , they are actually pretty easy , just bend some tabs and remove some clips and they are totally disassembled. Not bad at all unless you start with a total rust bucket.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Those are beautiful!! Nice work and thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nice work!!! :ThumbUp: I especially like the 50's Ford trucks! ~~ grnspot

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Hi guys, my hobbies are bike riding and gym! The tractors is the main hobby now!

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, I started this off, now I'll step up. Beside the constant improvement of my property from clearing and building things I have some very non related hobbies. I enjoy (When that small opportunity presents itself) building wooden model "Tall Ships" and I use to have a small Taxidermy shop @ 20 yrs ago. I would like to eventually get back into doing that as well... Maybe when I retire. But for now, I am still picking up projects to restore when I can. It just seems like there is always something to do in front of a resto project. But for now, work and the kids seem to fill the little voids so all I can do is enjoy the young ones for now because they will be gone before I know it and retirement actually doesn't sound like a foreign word anymore.

King, I still have the Tonka trucks I played with when I was a kid and I'll post some pics for you. ;)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Electric trains? If so, what gauge?

I have an 0 gauge Lionel train set I used to set up around the tree at Christmas time but haven't had it out in years. My cousin and I really got in to it when we were younger and would take up a whole room with track and setup scenes like you described.

They are a lot of fun.
Mostly HO (More than 80%) But I have one or two sets of O Scale and a shoebox full of N scale stuff I won at an auction.

I really should take some pictures of what I have, I roughly have 150 boxes or so... I still cant believe I bought most of it for $20 at another auction..

-Stan

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright Robert, I think they have a group of like minded people that gather together here and talk about..... things.

:sidelaugh​

:bag:​

1 - 20 of 34 Posts