My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My Craftsman 55 Series B&S Push Mower is stalling and smoking (white smoke) out of the muffler. This seamed to happen after I tried to mow some heavy growth in the rear of my yard. I did the following to try and correct the problem:

1) Changed the filter - it was soaked and clogged with black oil
2) Changed the oil
3) Changed the gas
4) Cleaned the carb. - the diaphragm was torn in one spot but I didn't have a replacement so I put it back. Do I need a new one?
5) I unscrewed the muffler. It is all "charred" near the center. Not sure if that is a problem.

What else can I do? I also noticed that when I pull on the starter it is hard to pull sometimes. I read that it could be a bent crank shaft. The crankshaft is $90+ to replace!!!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Model 917.388190
B&S 4-Cycle engine model no. 10T802-1059-B1
Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower
550 Series
21" Rear-Discharge

Thanks.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply. Another look at the mower yesterday revealed that the crimp on the starter pull rope had moved. I now remember that it had gotten caught on the threader on the mower handle because I believe I put the threader (if that is what it is called) back on backwards. It appeared not to matter at first. I think the motor was revving too much. How can I get that crimp to move? Do I need to buy a whole new starter or can I replace just the pull?

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.