My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear what kind of oil people like to use in lawnmower engines? Question is important for me now, because i have new B&S engine on my restored lawnmower deck, and i have spent now some restless nights, thinking about the right type of oil for new engine. I saw video in internet, and it was said that, if have old-school car engine, the "running in" time should use normal (not synthetic) oil, and after the "running-in" time is ready then can switch to the synthetic oil. So i bought B&S SAE30 oil, and filled my engine with that. I have still left this oil for one more filling. I will change the oil first time, when i have cut the grass once, and then another oil change again after one grass cutting. But then needs to know, what kind of oil might be good for the engine. Here in Finland, weather can be so cold that i will only think about multi-viscosity oils. Maybe 5w-30 ? I also saw one 10w-30 oil which is for diesel engines, but that oil have high zinc percentage which is good for old-school engines, so maybe i will buy that oil, it is not synthetic, but i think that old-school engine is most happy with the oil, which have high zinc percentage. But really i would be happy to hear about other peoples opinions about oils.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree with tabora, 10w30 full synthetic is the only thing I run in all my engines, air cooled or not. I do match the weights, however. Your owners manual should show using multi weight oil based on temperature. In the US there's very little price difference for synthetic.

·
Registered
1953 Lawn Boy, 2008 Craftsman Pro, 1991 JD 260 GT
32 Posts
I would like to hear what kind of oil people like to use in lawnmower engines? Question is important for me now, because i have new B&S engine on my restored lawnmower deck, and i have spent now some restless nights, thinking about the right type of oil for new engine. I saw video in internet, and it was said that, if have old-school car engine, the "running in" time should use normal (not synthetic) oil, and after the "running-in" time is ready then can switch to the synthetic oil. So i bought B&S SAE30 oil, and filled my engine with that. I have still left this oil for one more filling. I will change the oil first time, when i have cut the grass once, and then another oil change again after one grass cutting. But then needs to know, what kind of oil might be good for the engine. Here in Finland, weather can be so cold that i will only think about multi-viscosity oils. Maybe 5w-30 ? I also saw one 10w-30 oil which is for diesel engines, but that oil have high zinc percentage which is good for old-school engines, so maybe i will buy that oil, it is not synthetic, but i think that old-school engine is most happy with the oil, which have high zinc percentage. But really i would be happy to hear about other peoples opinions about oils.
Diesel oil in my opinion would be great! My reasoning is that diesel's need heat to combust & the oils are made to withstand high heat. But You can't go wrong with 10w-30 FS Gas oils either. Some Diesel oils are dual rated here in the USA. Meaning they can be put into Diesel & gasoline engines using the same oil. You don't need the dual rating b/c your not running it in a emission equipped vehicle. If you want the higher zinc then 15w-40 in any dual rating or 10-30 HDEO in single (Non Gasoline) rated oil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw 10w-30 oil for diesel engines, and that oil have zinc between 1-2,5 %, which is much more zinc i have seen many other oils. I have compare now 7 different oils, about the zinc levels, and all other have zinc levels 0,1 - 1%, but this particular 10w-30 for diesel engines, have the most high zinc level. I have understand that zinc is really good for old styled engines, so i am interested high zinc-level good quality oils. Also non synthetic oils are here so much cheaper than synthetic oils (which have low zinc) that i really can change without worry the oil more often to the engine. Anyway things are different if thinking about cars, i use synthetic, high quality oil my daily driven car, and also my classic car.

·
Registered
1953 Lawn Boy, 2008 Craftsman Pro, 1991 JD 260 GT
32 Posts
I saw 10w-30 oil for diesel engines, and that oil have zinc between 1-2,5 %, which is much more zinc i have seen many other oils. I have compare now 7 different oils, about the zinc levels, and all other have zinc levels 0,1 - 1%, but this particular 10w-30 for diesel engines, have the most high zinc level. I have understand that zinc is really good for old styled engines, so i am interested high zinc-level good quality oils. Also non synthetic oils are here so much cheaper than synthetic oils (which have low zinc) that i really can change without worry the oil more often to the engine. Anyway things are different if thinking about cars, i use synthetic, high quality oil my daily driven car, and also my classic car.
The 10w-30 Diesel will have high levels of zinc. Higher than regular gasoline motor oil. I run diesel oil in all my small engines including my riders. So long as your replacing oil in normal intervals there really is not a great case for synthetics. Although I buy them when I can get a rebate or a good price. Sounds like you've got a good idea on what you want to run in it. Motor on my friend

1 - 8 of 8 Posts