Mylawnmowerforum.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked by a neighbor to get a log splitter up and running. B & S single cylinder engine. Surprisingly, it has a decent spark. Hasn't run for 6 years! This is what the carb looks like! What would be the best way to clean it? Thanks, in advance, for your advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read that CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust) remover would help. It did! The calcium was totally gone! The only problem is that the calcium had begun to eat away at some of the metal in the carb. I put it all back together. I'll find out tomorrow if the carb is any good at all. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. The CLR got rid of the oxide. The main jet is clear. There was a lot of corrosion inside. Don't know how much damage was done. That particular carb is obsolete....can't find a replacement anywhere! It gives one little "pop" when I pull the cord. I still have to clean the magnets and coil, but won't be able to do that for a few days. I'll also change the flywheel key. I'll give an update once I get the chance to work on it, again!

·
Registered
186 Posts
No you don't have to clean the magnets & coil and by doing so can cause damage
The only thing that is important is a good electrical contact between the coil & the engine and the gap between the coil legs & the magnet
Next , a carb is a carb is a carb is a carb
So if that one is obsolete, fit a different one.
These are mower engines , not space ships or top fuel Nascars
So if the mounting bolts are the same distance apart very little matters.
If the choke is too small then the governor will have the throttle open wider to compensate for it
The worst thing is you might have to fabricate some control wires

1 - 11 of 11 Posts