My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, after what happened to me with this customer, I thought to make a generic owners type manual. This way I can stress sold as is and that we did the best we could at time of restore! Dad was real concerned about our names and such, so left that all off. Let me know what you think of it please!!

How to keep your lawn tractor running from season to season.
1 Make sure you check your oil every time you use the machine.
2 Check your tire pressure once a month.
3 Clean your deck off once a month to prevent rusting of deck.
4 If/ when you hit an object with blades, stop and inspect for damage and stop using if damage is found.
5 At end of use, close the fuel shut -off valve after shutting engine down.
6 At end of mowing season, check your mower blades for damage and replace/sharpen as needed.
7 Also let engine run with fuel shut-off valve in the off position to drain fuel out of engine for long term storage. When engine runs out of fuel and dies, turn key to off position and cover tractor for season.
8 If your new machine is Hydrostatic, NEVER move the hydro release when engine is running!! VERY important not to do! The main reason for this device is to be able to push/move tractor with engine off. Please be sure to use this whenever you plan on moving the tractor by hand!!!
9 You can download most owner's manuals from the internet with a Google search using the model number on machine. Please do so to understand all maintenance and operating directions from the maker of your machine.
10 We strive to make sure your new machine has ALL safety interlocks installed and operating as they should. YOU take all responsibility if you tamper with the seat switch or any other safety device on your new machine!!!
We strive to make sure your new machine is in the best operating condition when we sell them. Please remember this is a USED machine! It is sold as is! We try our best to make it as good as it can be for you to enjoy many years of hard work!!
We hope and pray this new machine will work many years for you! God Bless!!

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Very definitely a step in the right direction. A brief summary of what you find at the front of most every owner's manual is a good guide, and it looks like you've hit most of the points.

I've always downloaded the owner's manuals for the equipment I've flipped, and printed a copy to send along with them when I sell them. I record the model and serial number for them too, and put it on a label that gets stuck on the front of the folder I put the manual in. For the really long manuals, I'll put it on a CD and give that to the buyer, which you might be something to consider since you do a lot more machines than I ever have.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
I do the same and have also had them sign a receipt (For their sake for proof of ownership). On the receipt I state that this (equipment model, name) is being sold to_____ as is with no warranty stated or implied. They sign it and I sign it. Nothing is 100% fool proof but it sets the tone and keeps things in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Both ideas are very good, will save a lot of grief and hassle in the long run.

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Hey guys, after what happened to me with this customer, I thought to make a generic owners type manual. This way I can stress sold as is and that we did the best we could at time of restore! Dad was real concerned about our names and such, so left that all off. Let me know what you think of it please!!

4 If/ when you hit an object with blades, stop and inspect for damage and stop using if damage is found.
6 At end of mowing season, check your mower blades for damage and replace/sharpen as needed.
7 Also let engine run with fuel shut-off valve in the off position to drain fuel out of engine for long term storage. When engine runs out of fuel, dies, turn key to off position (allow to cool down) and cover tractor for season.
8 If your new machine (previously owned machine) is Hydrostatic, NEVER move the hydro release when engine is running!! VERY important not to do! The main reason for this device is to be able to push/move tractor with engine off. Please be sure to use this whenever you plan on moving the tractor by hand!!!
9 You can download most owner's manuals from the internet with a Google search using the model number on machine. Please do so to understand all maintenance and operating directions from the maker of your machine.
10 We strive to make sure your new-to-you machine has ALL safety interlocks installed and operating as they should. YOU take all responsibility if you tamper with the seat switch or any other safety device on your new machine!!!
We strive to make sure your new (late model) machine is in the best operating condition when we sell them. Please remember this is a USED machine! It is sold as is! We try our best to make it as good as it can be for you to enjoy many years of hard work!!
We hope and pray this new machine will work many years for you! God Bless!!
It is really quite good, Eric! :bravo:

Read at three times and thought I would toss this out there. You and your dad wont have a problem with honest people. Dishonest folks, however, will lie through their teeth and point the finger towards you because their information/owners manual indicated a new piece of equipment. Just for the sake of argument, I highlighted words in blue that I thought should be dropped or modified. The highlighted red words are purely a suggestion on what might add a bit more transparency in your manual.

I hope you understand that I'm not picking apart your hard efforts...I'm picking out what some folks will try to do when they Never check their oil, run with dull or bent blades, jump and bypass wires 'cause it wont start, etc. It's unfortunate for all us that there are too many out there!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the ideas! The reason I posted it was for any different way of doing it. Mark thanks for the ideas. The guy this morning loved the idea and is laminating his copy! I'll edit and repost!

·
Administrator
7,693 Posts
Looks like a good idea, Eric! I definitely think it would be a good way to deal with customers who are trying to pin things on you.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the help! Mark ,I took your lead and edited it!
7 Also let engine run with fuel shut-off valve in the off position to drain fuel out of engine for long term storage. When engine runs out of fuel and dies, turn key to off position and cover tractor for season.
8 If your machine is Hydrostatic, NEVER move the hydro release when engine is running!! VERY important not to do! The main reason for this device is to be able to push/move tractor with engine off. Please be sure to use this whenever you plan on moving the tractor by hand!!!
10 We strive to make sure your machine has ALL safety interlocks installed and operating as they should. YOU take all responsibility if you tamper with the seat switch or any other safety device on your new machine!!!
We strive to make sure your machine is in the best operating condition when we sell them. Please remember this is a USED machine! It is sold as is! We try our best to make it as good as it can be for you to enjoy many years of hard work!!
We hope and pray this machine will work many years for you! God Bless!!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice idea, Eric.

I would turn it into a document, put two signatures (one for you the seller and the other the purchaser), date lines, type of machine sold including vin #, and a place for the sale price. Make a copy, one for yourself and the other for the purchaser once its been signed by both parties.

Could even create a logo for the top of the document illustrating your business if you don't already have one with a slogan etc to make it look even more professional. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Austen. Dad wants no info!! Guess he is afraid of something?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Looks cool to me!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks 89!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts