My Lawnmower Forum banner
41 - 60 of 408 Posts

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·

1,330 Posts
I didnt get even get one minute to work on The REO. I wreckered 10 vehicals for one reason or another yesterday. Im paying for that today, that much pavement walking and climbing in and out of the truck takes its tole on my ankle and legs. lol , I have two ankles! but the right one still hurts from the barbed wire fiasco.

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Did a few different things. Took the shaft drive oil pan off of a Honda GXV120, and replaced it with a non-shaft drive one that I'll use to create my HR214PX with. I also replaced the camshaft as the shaft drive operates off of the cam.

Found a NOS grass bag for my 1980 HR17, so I put that on the bagger frame. I actually wore gloves while I did it so's not to get the new bag dirty.

Took a hydro transmission out of a HRM215 and put a two speed gear drive back in it, and switched out the handlebars and controls that go with them. I'm going to be giving the mower to my step son later, and I'll keep the hydro for another project that comes along later. Tomorrow I'll go over the whole thing to make sure the cables and engine rpm's are all adjusted to specs.

· Premium Member
5,899 Posts
Well, I got more parts cleaned on the 14.5 and got a couple things painted, shroud and the pull starter. Hopefully I'll get it together soon and I'll be able to start working on something that I want to work on ;)

Attachments

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Dang, that shroud and recoil look new. What did you use on them?

I got the HRM215SXA all set to go. Even went out and got a bottle of 10W-30 to give the step son, and wrote .6 liter - 10W-30 on the shroud next to the dip stick so he'll know what it takes.:bag:

Pulled one of my HR214s out to turn into the HR214PX.

· Premium Member
5,899 Posts
Dang, that shroud and recoil look new. What did you use on them?
I cleaned and carefully taped off the decals prior to blasting the shroud in the cabinet and cleaned the mounting points on the recoil housing with a wire cup wheel with the dremel as it only needed a little cleaning. A little Rustoleum Rust converter as primer then I shot it with Rustoleum semi gloss from the professional cans. They seem to spray nicely and the paint dries quickly.
Whoa! a head to toe rebuild. I think a total rebuild engine with new paint and detail is as nice to look at as the full mower. :2th::cool
Ya know Doc, all I meant to do with this was replace the gaskets then I seen a small hole in the top of the case where the PO tried to remove the flywheel with a screwdriver, then out came the guts so I figured well, maybe I'll de-carbonize the the combustion chamber while I'm at it, then....then......then..... yup, your saying to yourself, how did that happen? :scratch:

1,330 Posts
update on the REO,, nothing to update, still waiting for reel parts. Im as far as I can go for now. Thinking I might mount the engine on a table and fire it up just to know how it runs!!ohppps, Im still waiting for the carb kit. thats out.:ROFL just gotta be patient and enjoy it.
I have had some time to clean shop and rearrange the tool/coke room.

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well, I got more parts cleaned on the 14.5 and got a couple things painted, shroud and the pull starter. Hopefully I'll get it together soon and I'll be able to start working on something that I want to work on ;)

Not sure how I missed this, but wow, nice work!! :ThumbUp: It literally looks like they just came out of the box new! That is awesome.

I pulled the Eclipse and sulky out with intentions of going for a little ride after work, but not in chilly 30 some degree weather. Did I mention a light dusting of snow too?

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Had the two old mowers out today.

Got a little carried away with the LK and ended up mowing the whole backyard! I had no intentions of doing the first mow of the year in March, it usually always happens in April, but after I got it out it was running so well and was having too much fun that I couldn't put it away. Makes me realize how much I love these old reel mowers. I got to thinking how I find myself sometimes worrying about what I would do if anything critical broke on one of these but you know what, they were designed to be used and realistically, all of the fun truly comes from using them. CNC machines and machine shops are there for a reason.

· Premium Member
601 Posts
A few days ago I broke out the pressure washer and cleaned off all the grime on all the equipment.

Next week is a sponge and soap wash, wax, and then cleaning the decks
and if I get time "spring tune ups"

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
I swapped engines on the HR215SX(M)A. It had started showing droplets of oil on the deck out in front of the muffler which is a sign it needs new rings.

Also worked on Frankenmower a bit today too.:bag:

· Premium Member
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Nice projects guys, keep up the excellent work! :2th:

41 - 60 of 408 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.