My Lawnmower Forum banner

381 - 400 of 408 Posts

·
Administrator
6,222 Posts
Done lube, oil and filter on the Deere after getting the blades sharpened and the deck back together. I'll start a separate post about it. You'll never guess who made the bearings in the spindles. Least I would not have. Just a little teaser for the other post I'll make in the Deere section here in a few minutes. :tango_face_grin:

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/18-john-deere/59801-lt150-blade-spindles.html

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, tried using the '90 Snapper to mow n' bag this morning - we had a major windstorm last week that brought down all kinds of cones and birch branches. Faster than raking. The '90 started on the second pull, but seems to use a lot of fuel...I can see (and smell) what I think is unburned fuel coming out of the exhaust. Actually had to refill what was a full tank before I tried restarting the last time - had only done 2/3 of the front yard. My other mowers can do the entire property at least once on a full tank.

It also got progressively harder to start as the morning went on...until I could no longer start it, even with starting fluid.

So...I need to figure out what I need to check on this one...was more than a little aggravated with it this morning.

Any suggestions on what might need to be checked since it seems to be harder to start the more the mower runs? Started just fine when cold.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Mowed the yard with the F725 this afternoon!

Reactions: Mark / Ohio

·
Registered
105 Posts
Said goodbye to a Weed Eater trimmer this evening. Had it for several years, but it was just too small for me to use (I'm 6' tall and the trimmer line was always a bit too close to my feet for comfort). It went to someone who needed it more than I do.

I still have two Bolens trimmers in the shed, but at least I'm not hoarding as much as I used to...:Hide:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I seem to hoard trimmers! I have three now, a Echo we got for free on tractor flip, basically new. The Stihl trimmer traded in for tractor, a fav and a Craftsman 4 cycle convertible for use with attachments from old Ryobi.

Reactions: The_Geologist

·
Registered
105 Posts
I started picking them up at auctions (paid $6 for the last Bolens) and at thrift stores (think I paid $25 for the first Bolens). Then I realized that 3 was probably too many when I don't really use them each time I mow. Maybe every second or third mow. I've never bought a brand new trimmer.

One Bolens has the curved shaft, while the other has the straight shaft. I think they're both something like the BL100 model - exactly the same (other than the shaft) from all outside appearances. Still trying to figure out which I like better, but at least both aren't too short for me.

It's all part of the purge...trying to get rid of stuff we don't need, both in the garage and in the house - especially as the kids keep growing out of clothes and toys.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My dad got a JD brand gas Trimmer straight shaft (probably made by someone else) back in 92. It was a very good machine. I wish it had not been stolen.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, things are moving out of here, slowly. Just said goodbye to the '92 Snapper (single-speed self-propel). It ran beautifully, but I just didn't like having the single speed.

Hopefully I can get the '90 Snapper running a bit better, and then it can be used more. Having both the '90 and '92 seemed a bit redundant...

The wife should be happy, though. One less mower sitting in the yard now.

I haven't started going through withdrawals...yet. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently received a Honda HRT216 walk behind mower. Sharpened the blades, cleaned out under the mower deck, fixed transmission issues, changed oil/air filter/spark plug, pressure washed it, and painted rough spots on mower deck. All ready to go to mow this weekend!

·
Registered
106 Posts
revisiting the idea of getting the snow blower attachment restored for my John Deere 260, and using my two stage as a back up/getting into tighter areas

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 ·
revisiting the idea of getting the snow blower attachment restored for my John Deere 260, and using my two stage as a back up/getting into tighter areas
Sounds like a good idea, Topher! Keep us posted! :tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
106 Posts
The first challenge will be finding those missing parts without going to the dealership

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mowed, trimmed, and swept clippings from the lawn today. Gave the White a bath as I hadn't washed it in some time. Looks much better now!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not so much to my lawnmower but for my lawnmower. Built these platforms out of some 2x6s I had to make changing the oil a little easier. Now I can slide a drain pan right underneath. Very simple and cheap helpful aide.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did oil changes on my 3 push mowers this past week. The 2003 Snapper from the salvage yard and the 1990 Snapper freebie from down the street really needed it! Ran the Craftsman pusher this morning to get some exercise. At least I got all that done before the smoke moved back in.

I still think I will get rid of the '90 Snapper...I've done all I wanted to it. Still hard to start (though it was easier to start in the cooler weather this week :Thinking hard:).

I also found a Craftsman dump cart at the Habitat ReStore a week or so ago. It was missing a couple of nuts, bolts, and the hitch, but I figured those were easy to find (and they were!). Still waiting on the hitch, but got the rest put back together and tightened everything up. Tires needed some air, and now it seems fairly solid for what it is. Not sure what to think of the poly yet - I haven't ever had a cart like this before. But at least I won't be worrying about rust as much! Someone already drilled a couple of drain holes in it for me...so that helps. I think I paid $40 - $45 for it. Not expecting to haul any large loads with it, but it will hopefully make hauling branches and the like easier in the spring. Pictures should be attached.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #397 ·
Did oil changes on my 3 push mowers this past week. The 2003 Snapper from the salvage yard and the 1990 Snapper freebie from down the street really needed it! Ran the Craftsman pusher this morning to get some exercise. At least I got all that done before the smoke moved back in.

I still think I will get rid of the '90 Snapper...I've done all I wanted to it. Still hard to start (though it was easier to start in the cooler weather this week :Thinking hard:).

I also found a Craftsman dump cart at the Habitat ReStore a week or so ago. It was missing a couple of nuts, bolts, and the hitch, but I figured those were easy to find (and they were!). Still waiting on the hitch, but got the rest put back together and tightened everything up. Tires needed some air, and now it seems fairly solid for what it is. Not sure what to think of the poly yet - I haven't ever had a cart like this before. But at least I won't be worrying about rust as much! Someone already drilled a couple of drain holes in it for me...so that helps. I think I paid $40 - $45 for it. Not expecting to haul any large loads with it, but it will hopefully make hauling branches and the like easier in the spring. Pictures should be attached.
Nice cart! It'll be a nice handy tool to have. Nope, you don't have to worry about rust with the poly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Actually yesterday, not today - I found a home for my surplus 2001 MTD model 379, single speed self-propelled mower, with bag, mulch plug, and side discharge attachment. It had a strange issue that if a new drive belt was fitted to it (exact part #), the belt would not fully release, so you were always in "drive". The best I could see is that there was a lot of slack on the transmission shaft, where the drive pulley is attached, and also the shaft with the swing arm of the idler pulley. It disengages and engages only when a used, slightly stretched belt is on it.
Given that, I wanted to donate it, rather than sell it, so I found that the local Salvation Army store was willing to accept it, since it was in operating condition. Maybe someone can get a few more good years from it and the Salvation Army can get some $$$ for it. I always kept it clean, see the pic - but my guess is that if anyone buys it, it will be left outside and look as old as it really is, in a short time.
The brand name of it was "Lawn Chief", which I guess is/was a label that MTD used for what they supplied to True Value hardware stores, back in 2001.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Today I gave my beloved JD JX75 to a lady in need. her early to mid-90s vintage Honda walk behind had a stuck governor and issues with throttle cable. the mower itself was in bad shape as well. She purchased it used at a garage sale or on craigslist and is recently divorced and doesn't know much about mowers. Because I have my Ariens razor I really have no need for a 2nd mower. I instructed her on how to use it and she got all giggly and happy so it was worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put the finishing touches on replacing my 20hp briggs with a bad anti vibration device with a new 22hp vtwin, had to lengthen the throttle and choke as well as the fuel line, also had to replace the pto since it was destroyed when the antivibration let loose and almost shook the mower apart. I was amazed how much smoother a vtwin was than a single.

381 - 400 of 408 Posts