My Lawnmower Forum banner

361 - 380 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Went to get a new deck for my push mower, they wound up giving me the whole mower.
Next project is trying to get the John Deere to keep a charge on the battery.

Reactions: Mark / Ohio

·
Registered
552 Posts
Farm spraying & mowing today with the 755.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mowed the lawn with the Ariens Razor to use up the rest of last season's fuel that was in it. Ran just fine. 1.5 year old 85 Octane gasoline that was treated at the time with Stabil 360. Then I pulled out the John Deere JX75 and tested out the new blade clutch that was put on it over the winter by my repair facility. Runs great. I love both walk behinds. The Ariens is new and savy and feels like it can take on anything. The Subaru engine sips the fuel. The RPMs are higher so it sucks up more into the bag and mulchs things more finer vs the lower RPM Kawasaki on the JD. Yet the JD is tested and true.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Swapped the good motor on to the new deck everything works great, but I'm thinking the blade might be a little wonky...she was shaking pretty bad

Reactions: Ericjr16

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Try using balancer on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Try using balancer on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The one I used I found down stairs, and I used because it looked a little sharper, but it had some nasty chunks taken out of it. I'm going to clean up the one that it had on it before see how that works.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, I used the Snapper Hi-Vac with it's Thatcherizer today...found it to be a very unique experience. It's a bit strange to get used to the extra length at the front of the mower, but the thatcher did an okay job. I probably needed to do a better height adjustment on it, but it did clean up a lot of crud out of the lawn in the back yard. It would not have been fun without the self-propel...though I wish I could have more than just the one speed on my mower. Sometimes the self-propel was a bit too fast for the conditions.

Had to remove the Thatcherizer for the front yard because the grass was already too long to use it.

Not sure if it is worth keeping in the long run (to only use once a year), but it's an interesting novelty item. The Hi-Vac seems to plug its chute way too easily...not sure how excited I am to keep it either. Sure cuts well, though!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Got two other push mowers running for the year today: my Craftsman that I have had since new, and the "other" Snapper that I got as a freebie.

Changed the wheels on the Craftsman since the original ones were quite cracked - surprised they hadn't fallen off yet. Lubed the friction points and changed the air filter. Still need to change the oil but that is a quick fix.

The "other" Snapper needs a bit of work in addition to a normal tuneup. The mount for the rear axle on the right side is broken, so the right rear wheel sits too low. So, need to replace that. Other than that, it is very hard to start. I can pull and it just barely puffs a couple times, and if I catch it and pull fast enough, it might start. Starts a little easier with starting fluid, but I am pretty sure I need to go after the carb and clean/replace it. It has a B&S engine on it, but I need to look up and read more info. Definitely needs an oil change at some point, too. Did lube up everything like I did on the other mowers, at least. I like this "other" Snapper because it has multiple speeds for the self-propel...I think I'd rather keep it than the single-speed Snapper I used yesterday.

Reactions: Austen

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
Got two other push mowers running for the year today: my Craftsman that I have had since new, and the "other" Snapper that I got as a freebie.

Changed the wheels on the Craftsman since the original ones were quite cracked - surprised they hadn't fallen off yet. Lubed the friction points and changed the air filter. Still need to change the oil but that is a quick fix.

The "other" Snapper needs a bit of work in addition to a normal tuneup. The mount for the rear axle on the right side is broken, so the right rear wheel sits too low. So, need to replace that. Other than that, it is very hard to start. I can pull and it just barely puffs a couple times, and if I catch it and pull fast enough, it might start. Starts a little easier with starting fluid, but I am pretty sure I need to go after the carb and clean/replace it. It has a B&S engine on it, but I need to look up and read more info. Definitely needs an oil change at some point, too. Did lube up everything like I did on the other mowers, at least. I like this "other" Snapper because it has multiple speeds for the self-propel...I think I'd rather keep it than the single-speed Snapper I used yesterday.
Nice job! A good carb cleaning I'll bet it'll be good to go. :ThumbUp:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mowed the lawn with the Craftsman pusher today in between rain/hail storms.

Then I cut down a hawthorn tree that was diseased and rotten and was planted in the wrong spot oh so many years ago. Got to use my Stihl 028 chainsaw for a change, though!

Now I have this large pile of branches with "lovely" 3 inch long thorns to cut down to smaller sizes before I can haul them to the dump, but at least that corner of the yard will see more sun now.

·
Administrator
6,222 Posts
Elderly lady I mowed a yard for as a teen had a Hawthorne. I cursed that thing every time I mowed around it. I and another neighbor that helped take care of things wanted to cut it down or at least trim the branches up higher on it but she did not want us to do it. One day we got stabbed one too many time and lopped off some of the lower branches anyway.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I always hated pruning the hawthorn. Made sure to wear a hard hat and safety glasses every time. I hate those thorns!

Even in death, the tree wasn't finished with me as the thorns did get me once in the palm of the hand. That was even through my leather gloves.

At least I got the stack of branches cut down to manageable sizes this morning to load on the pickup and take them to the dump. Will hopefully do the hauling later in the week.

Now I am really curious how much light that part of the lawn will get now...was always darker in that corner of the yard.

·
Administrator
6,222 Posts
The old timers used to claim those thorns would work as a poor man's record player needle. I never tried it on mine but they said you could cut one to the right diameter and length and fasten it in the old crank wound / spring driven 78rpm phonographs. The wood would give a softer, less harsh sound then steel needles and less wear on the records. But they would not last very long being soft compared to steel needles.

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
I and another neighbor that helped take care of things wanted to cut it down or at least trim the branches up higher on it but she did not want us to do it. One day we got stabbed one too many time and lopped off some of the lower branches anyway.
lol!

Was this at night with flashlights? :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, all the piles of branches are gone to the dump now, and I got out the chainsaw and cut up the larger stuff into firewood. Now the yard looks a lot better.

Used the Craftsman to mow the yard earlier in the day...working well after 11 seasons, I think.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Transplanted a little (1.5' tall) linden tree today that I've been watching for 2+ years. Hopefully it doesn't get too much transplant shock...it hadn't leafed out yet.

Replaced the rear axle mount on the '90 Snapper today. I think there was a wee bit of an issue...:Thinking hard: The mount on the left is what I removed from the mower, while the one on the right is the replacement. Now it doesn't roll like a drunken...mower!

Did some work on the '92 Snapper as well. I think it is ready to sell!

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Worked on the '90 Snapper to figure out why it is so hard to start. Took off the air cleaner and discovered the throttle cable was mis-adjusted. It would not operate the choke at all...so there was no choke to help start. Adjusted the cable and lubed the moving parts on top of the carb, and it starts in only 3 - 4 pulls now (instead of 20 - 30 like before). It's still a bit hard to get to turn over fast enough to "catch" and start up, so will go in and actually clean the carb next round. I might look at the valves, too, if the carb cleaning doesn't do the trick.

It cuts real nice, though. Had to remove the side discharge and put on the bagger. Need to buy the mulching plug, because I don't normally bag my grass anymore.

Not bad...only spent $15 on the mower so far, though!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ordered the chute plug (Snapper part #7016814YP) for the '90 Snapper mower on Sunday night. Just got the part today and it fits like a glove!

Now I can leave the chute on when mulching and can use the bag if/when I want to.

If anyone else is interested in this part, I got it here: Snapper 7016814YP - Plug, Chute Adapter | PartSelect

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #379 ·
Ordered the chute plug (Snapper part #7016814YP) for the '90 Snapper mower on Sunday night. Just got the part today and it fits like a glove!

Now I can leave the chute on when mulching and can use the bag if/when I want to.

If anyone else is interested in this part, I got it here: Snapper 7016814YP - Plug, Chute Adapter | PartSelect
Great news! Now you can successfully mulch with it. :tango_face_smile: Thanks for the update!

·
Administrator
6,222 Posts
A root jumped right out in front of me! It's one I've shave before but hit it a good shot today while my brain was momentarily drifting elsewhere. :Ugh:

Still deciding what I need to replace and what I can hammer back into shape. The spindle survived but it tweaked the mounting a little. Worst part was the mulch baffle came loose and wedged the blade. Amazing the blade is not bent and only has a small dig on the end. I did find the bearing sounds dry compared to the other side. It is still the original discharge side bearing with 400 hrs on it. It's also the one that gets the heaviest load mulching. Looks like they are putting grease fittings on the replacements now. I might try separating it and shooting some grease in it to see how it feels. Could be I tweaked the spindle itself a little too. After getting the mulch kit pried off I finished mowing the yard and it actually cut well despite the alignment issues. I may just leave that baffle out and see how it works with only the blocking plate.

Anyone bought anything from Flip Manufacturing? They are selling two spindle assemblies for about the price JD wants for one.

AM128048 Replacement Spindles Two Pack Fits John Deere LT Series | eBay

Pay no mind to all the mess on my bench in the blade photo. I'd just dumped my junk can out to find a bolts to put back in my vice that came loose on the bench while I was bending on the baffle. Yes, it was just a banner day this afternoon. :tango_face_smile_bi Least the weather was nice. :tango_face_glasses:

Attachments

361 - 380 of 408 Posts