My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
That shot glass looks clean as a whistle. Love that mini N. Seafoam is good stuff. This is a great thread.

Here's what I did part of this morning. Still have to do the one on the left, and dig the front ones out of a box somewhere in the garage.

What do you think? A little over the top maybe?

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Actually, this was yesterday.

I picked up a Honda HR215 from CL day before. It needed a throttle cable and clutch cable for the transmission, but I had both of those in my parts pile. I cleaned the carb, adjusted the cables, changed the oil and put a new spark plug on it and some fresh gas. Then I ran it out to the front yard and picked up some stray leaves with it. It's awfully dirty right now, but the clean up might have to wait until spring. This one might become the one I use and then I'll have the decks I need to put together my three versions of the HR214.

The John Deere is all cleaned up and pretty much ready to go. I'm waiting for one bolt for the BBC to come in today, then it will be done. Although, there was a spin on oil filter option for them. Hmmmm....
Here is the HR215 sitting next to the 14SB. Wonder who copied who?

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
I got tired of seeing the broken name plate that said John eere, so I found a replacement, now it shows of it's name as it should.

Also located a spin on oil filter kit for a good price that included a new gasket and filter, so I put that on too.

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Haven't polished it, just cleaned it up. I do need to go over the engine cover with something like Back to Black to get it looking better.

One of the members over on MTF, Y Block, says you can get the JD paint in spray cans and it applies nicely over the existing paint. Rhenning says he's used Rustoleum on his with good results. I might try one of those.

I still haven't decided what to do with this mower. I'd like to use it, but it still might go up for sale.

I'll have to take a look through the manual to see what it says for oil pressure.

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Did a few different things. Took the shaft drive oil pan off of a Honda GXV120, and replaced it with a non-shaft drive one that I'll use to create my HR214PX with. I also replaced the camshaft as the shaft drive operates off of the cam.

Found a NOS grass bag for my 1980 HR17, so I put that on the bagger frame. I actually wore gloves while I did it so's not to get the new bag dirty.

Took a hydro transmission out of a HRM215 and put a two speed gear drive back in it, and switched out the handlebars and controls that go with them. I'm going to be giving the mower to my step son later, and I'll keep the hydro for another project that comes along later. Tomorrow I'll go over the whole thing to make sure the cables and engine rpm's are all adjusted to specs.

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Dang, that shroud and recoil look new. What did you use on them?

I got the HRM215SXA all set to go. Even went out and got a bottle of 10W-30 to give the step son, and wrote .6 liter - 10W-30 on the shroud next to the dip stick so he'll know what it takes.:bag:

Pulled one of my HR214s out to turn into the HR214PX.

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
I swapped engines on the HR215SX(M)A. It had started showing droplets of oil on the deck out in front of the muffler which is a sign it needs new rings.

Also worked on Frankenmower a bit today too.:bag:

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
That's down right pretty Bruce. It didn't look that good when Briggs and Stratton put it together. Maybe you should put it in a glass case and keep it.:cool

Is that another one on the bench behind it waiting it's turn?

· Super Moderator
6,213 Posts
Gave my step son the choice of three different mowers, and he chose the Honda HRM215SXA. Gave him a quart of oil and an extra spark plug for it, and put the operator's manual on a CD for him.

Worked a bit on Frankenmower, and it's getting reeeeal close to being done.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.