My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 408 Posts

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's hear it! :)

I'll start out. Today I cleaned up the sediment bowl for my '58 Eclipse Speedway. It was beginning to slightly yellow on the bottom.

What did you do?

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Going to take some lessons from the LB guys, who've done some fantastic restorations, and try buffing them.

·
1,329 Posts
Cool thread, thanks for starting it. Now I will have a place to post my small jobs for this Winter season. I have decided not to start any large projects for this winter , but I am going to repair and finish my past projects.
As you most know ,this week I finished my ATV/snow blade project, wanted to do this for years.
Tody I am going to service the mini-N-Craftsman(Crafts-N) the outstanding problem with it is, the mower deck belt wont stay on. Thats the one for today. There are 3 other projects that also need attention , post them as we go.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep us updated, Doc!

Love your mini N! :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Treated the fuel in my 5-gal. can...still have to run the mower around the back to clean up the leaves, but will then drain it...

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
That shot glass looks clean as a whistle. Love that mini N. Seafoam is good stuff. This is a great thread.

Here's what I did part of this morning. Still have to do the one on the left, and dig the front ones out of a box somewhere in the garage.

What do you think? A little over the top maybe?

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks great Bruce! Nice work! :cool:

Polishing is one of my favorite pastimes, it is such a rewarding experiencing watching the results of your hard work unfold right beneath your eyes. It is a real motivator for sure.

P.S., very fitting signature! :)

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
I don't know. This being my first experience at polishing metal, I started a thread over in the painting and restoration forum to learn from those who know this stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
Actually, this was yesterday.

I picked up a Honda HR215 from CL day before. It needed a throttle cable and clutch cable for the transmission, but I had both of those in my parts pile. I cleaned the carb, adjusted the cables, changed the oil and put a new spark plug on it and some fresh gas. Then I ran it out to the front yard and picked up some stray leaves with it. It's awfully dirty right now, but the clean up might have to wait until spring. This one might become the one I use and then I'll have the decks I need to put together my three versions of the HR214.

The John Deere is all cleaned up and pretty much ready to go. I'm waiting for one bolt for the BBC to come in today, then it will be done. Although, there was a spin on oil filter option for them. Hmmmm....
Here is the HR215 sitting next to the 14SB. Wonder who copied who?

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice find! It looks like it's in very solid shape. :cool

Yup, I think you need to add the spin-on oil filter accessory to the JD. :ThumbUp:

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today I learned the best way to dry a machine after a wash in the winter instead of using microfiber cloths.

Get a 200mph+ commercial leaf blower and have at it. Within seconds, my wet bike was completely dry. :sidelaugh

·
1,329 Posts
Today I learned the best way to dry a machine after a wash in the winter instead of using microfiber cloths.

Get a 200mph+ commercial leaf blower and have at it. Within seconds, my wet bike was completely dry. :sidelaugh
I never thought of that , good idea. I do use the air hose and blow gun to blow dry the hot rod and especially the engine.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
I got tired of seeing the broken name plate that said John eere, so I found a replacement, now it shows of it's name as it should.

Also located a spin on oil filter kit for a good price that included a new gasket and filter, so I put that on too.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Nice! Are you going to repaint her or put her to work? What kind of oil pressure do you have with that?

·
Administrator
7,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looking great! Did you polish the deck?

Nice job installing the remote oil filter, that is a really neat feature on these engines and one that should be taken advantage of. :)

1 - 20 of 408 Posts