My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tinker. Here's what I've been tinkering with lately. HR214s are my favorite mower, and though they're easy to start, I wanted and easier start one, so I looked until I found an HR214SM, the electric start version, and a few extra parts. Got one to work, (that's the engine on the left) cleaned and serviced the transmission, (the one on the lower left) and now I'm working on getting the deck fixed up. Those other two transmissions are Tuff Torque 2 speeds from HRM215SX mowers.

Then I did a Tim Allen thing and combined parts from a shaft drive GXV120 engine, to a belt drive GXV140 engine, (bigger bore, oh, oh ,oh), added the electric start, put it on my daily driver deck, and there ya' go. I've got enough parts to put together another GXV120 and another GXV140, so there's more tinkering to be done.

Just so ya' know, it's not all Honda in my garage. I took the picture with my phone, so the wheels look washed out, but they're actually pretty bright yellow yet.

I'm also tinkering with a John Deere 14SB. It runs, but it spews oil from places nothing should be spewing from, so the engine is on my bench right now, with a handful of parts and gaskets to go into it.

My problem is, I've never met a mower I didn't like.

See you guys at the next TAA meeting. I'll bring the donuts.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
I think TAA will need to rent an auditorium. :ROFL

Where's that pretty JD you've recently acquired? :D

Are those actual manuals (in the binders) or did you take the time to print out PDFs? I love PDFs but there is something about holding the manual in your hand in front of you. I usually print out the pages I need, use them, get them greasy and toss them when I'm done.

·
Super Moderator
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The JD is sort of a puzzlement to me. Might come from my experiences with Hondas, but there are some things about the JD that I really like, yet others that makes me wonder what JD was thinking. It wasn't quite that clean when I got it, and there's still more polishing to be done. It is one of those mowers that causes me problems when it comes to, should I keep it or flip it?

Now here's something a little more scary. I found an unopened box of those white binders at a yard sale and, in the words of the American Pickers, "I knew I had to have them!"

Yep, those are actual shop manuals in those binders. My local dealer was kind enough to share the parts lists as he no longer refers to them, everything being on computerized files these days, but I still go to the printed ones a lot. I'm like you, I like pdfs, and I have the JD 14SB tech manual on pdf, but I'll probably just print what I need as I need it as the darn thing is 716 pages long! One thing I do when I pick up a mower to flip, I get a pdf of the owner's manual, print it and give it to the person who buys the mower, and I still have the pdf to refer to in the future should I find another mower like it.

The Jacobsen book holds original manuals and service updates, from 1948 up through 1954, as well as sales sheets from 1954. Classic stuff. It's a treasure.

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
Nice work, Bruce! :)

I like how you combined the parts to make one good mower. That's pretty cool too how you even put a bigger engine on it. Now that is totally something I would do! :cool:

This kind of project, to me, makes it even more special because of the self accomplishment and time and thought that went in to all of it. You should be proud to use it!

I like your Honda Power Equipment sign, that's pretty cool! Nice library too!

Thanks for sharing! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Austen. The mower actually worked just fine before. It was the one I use all the time. I know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? That engine on the right in the first picture is the one that came off of the deck in the video. It's just that it was the SX, recoil start version, and we all know how hard it is to pull that darn rope. :D I wanted to twist the key and go!

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
It's always fun to have a little variety!

It gives you all the more reason now to use that engine for another project. :cool

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.