My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be fun to share some of our favorite Christmas or holiday traditions and what we look forward to most this time of year. It doesn't necessarily need to be on the day of Christmas. Maybe it's getting the tree with family, putting decorations out etc etc.

Here are some of mine.

-Setting up the tree
-Listening to Christmas music
-Going to downtown Seattle with family one night, having dinner & walking around to see lights and displays
-Watching 'It's a Wonderful Life", 'The Grinch' & 'Charlie Brown's Christmas'
-Attending a candlelight service
-Christmas morning

-Getting together with extended family

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
I like looking at the decorations and especially the light displays people setup. Went to one customer in particular the day after Thanksgiving that every room inside had more decorations then a gift shop. They pretty much took every nic-nac of glass pictures, etc. that set on the shelf the rest of the year and replaced it with villages, Santa, decorated trees, any ornament or decoration you could imagine. They even had their electronic clocks reset to play Christmas tunes with striking the time.

I told her looked like she had her decorating done already. "Oh we have to get a head start as we have so much to setup. This is my favorite time of year! I'm always anxious to get going and slow to put it all away. We also have a lot of family coming to visit later on!" I think she is the great, great, great, great, great granddaughter of Mr and Mrs Claus. ;)

If I could have one wish or prayer it would be that everyone could share her spirit and enjoyment of the season and the original reason for it. :^:

Holidays are generally not a fun time to be in retail / service business. Easy to get depressed and forget the meaning of the holidays as all too many customers are stuck in miserable and angry mood now through the first of the year more then any other time of year. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
We don't really have any set traditions. We have finally found a tree that can fit in the mobile home without to much issue for mom or dad. Really keeping my spirits up this year. When I get down after a choking spell or bad phone call, I look at lit tree and remember who is behind that tree.

Reactions: Austen and bwdbrn1

·
Registered
499 Posts
We have some traditions that I miss since the family has spread out, It's just not that easy to coral the whole gang together like it used to be. We always seem to manage a big family get together the weekend after Christmas, or New Years Day though. I have a couple brothers and a sister, all married with children (9 to be exact, plus my 2, ages 2-16 years) and the get together can get chaotic, but boy it's fun to see the kids smiles as they tear into the presents! One great memory is from last year, the whole bunch of them, as if on cue, stopped unwrapping and started singing "Jingle Bells" as it played on the radio in the background. I tell you it was magical, we couldn't have planned it if we tried!

At my house we love to watch the Christmas specials on TV or the DVD's we've collected over the years. We watch the classics, Charlie Brown is a favorite, The Year without a Santa Clause, SC is Coming to Town, The Grinch etc, etc. My wife and I watch "It's a Wonderful Life" and the George C. Scott version of "A Christmas Carol" most every year.

My wife and kids love to see the light displays around town so we take a ride out and about a few times during the season. I put a small display out front, but I shoot for charming, not Clark W. Griswold Outrages! LOL

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
My birthday is on December 8th, and as a kid growing up, we would always go out and pick out our Christmas tree on that day. I can still picture it standing in front of a window in our dining room all decorated, and filling the house with the smell of pine.

As I grew older, and had a family of my own, new traditions were added and old ones adapted.

With the kids growing up and moving along on their own life's journeys, getting together can be tough. We pretty much have to pick a date that works for everyone, and call it our Christmas with them. In some cases, there is more than one "Christmas" because of the distances between them all.

This year, Judy and I will be embarking on a new venture this year, having Christmas in Michigan away from everyone else for the first time. It will be an odd experience for sure, but we'll look forward to getting together with friends nearby, and seeing the kids and grand kids when we can.

I've always enjoyed Christmas music. I catch myself humming along, since I can't carry a tune in a bucket. And I've always enjoyed seeing the decorations and lights that so many people put up. Being in the middle of so many things going on ourselves, I did make sure to at least take the time to put some lights on a tree outside our house, and hung a wreath on the door.

IMG_3414.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

It's a beautiful time of year, and one that calls you to stop and reflect on the true meaning of Christmas.

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like looking at the decorations and especially the light displays people setup. Went to one customer in particular the day after Thanksgiving that every room inside had more decorations then a gift shop. They pretty much took every nic-nac of glass pictures, etc. that set on the shelf the rest of the year and replaced it with villages, Santa, decorated trees, any ornament or decoration you could imagine. They even had their electronic clocks reset to play Christmas tunes with striking the time.

I told her looked like she had her decorating done already. "Oh we have to get a head start as we have so much to setup. This is my favorite time of year! I'm always anxious to get going and slow to put it all away. We also have a lot of family coming to visit later on!" I think she is the great, great, great, great, great granddaughter of Mr and Mrs Claus. ;)

If I could have one wish or prayer it would be that everyone could share her spirit and enjoyment of the season and the original reason for it. :^:

Holidays are generally not a fun time to be in retail / service business. Easy to get depressed and forget the meaning of the holidays as all too many customers are stuck in miserable and angry mood now through the first of the year more then any other time of year. :dunno:
Wow, that sounds like quite the display! I'll bet it was pretty cool to see the extent of it.

I couldn't imagine the time that goes into putting it all up and taking it down.

I know you mean about the retail end of things. It can be a heck-tick time of year for employees.

We don't really have any set traditions. We have finally found a tree that can fit in the mobile home without to much issue for mom or dad. Really keeping my spirits up this year. When I get down after a choking spell or bad phone call, I look at lit tree and remember who is behind that tree.
Finding the "right" tree can sometimes be a challenge.

It's hard not to go to a tree lot and see husbands "okaying" every tree while their wives are debating.

We have some traditions that I miss since the family has spread out, It's just not that easy to coral the whole gang together like it used to be. We always seem to manage a big family get together the weekend after Christmas, or New Years Day though. I have a couple brothers and a sister, all married with children (9 to be exact, plus my 2, ages 2-16 years) and the get together can get chaotic, but boy it's fun to see the kids smiles as they tear into the presents! One great memory is from last year, the whole bunch of them, as if on cue, stopped unwrapping and started singing "Jingle Bells" as it played on the radio in the background. I tell you it was magical, we couldn't have planned it if we tried!

At my house we love to watch the Christmas specials on TV or the DVD's we've collected over the years. We watch the classics, Charlie Brown is a favorite, The Year without a Santa Clause, SC is Coming to Town, The Grinch etc, etc. My wife and I watch "It's a Wonderful Life" and the George C. Scott version of "A Christmas Carol" most every year.

My wife and kids love to see the light displays around town so we take a ride out and about a few times during the season. I put a small display out front, but I shoot for charming, not Clark W. Griswold Outrages! LOL
Those sound like special times!

I forgot to add Christmas Vacation to the movie list. That one never gets old. I think know that movie nearly line for line, lol.

My birthday is on December 8th, and as a kid growing up, we would always go out and pick out our Christmas tree on that day. I can still picture it standing in front of a window in our dining room all decorated, and filling the house with the smell of pine.

As I grew older, and had a family of my own, new traditions were added and old ones adapted.

With the kids growing up and moving along on their own life's journeys, getting together can be tough. We pretty much have to pick a date that works for everyone, and call it our Christmas with them. In some cases, there is more than one "Christmas" because of the distances between them all.

This year, Judy and I will be embarking on a new venture this year, having Christmas in Michigan away from everyone else for the first time. It will be an odd experience for sure, but we'll look forward to getting together with friends nearby, and seeing the kids and grand kids when we can.

I've always enjoyed Christmas music. I catch myself humming along, since I can't carry a tune in a bucket. And I've always enjoyed seeing the decorations and lights that so many people put up. Being in the middle of so many things going on ourselves, I did make sure to at least take the time to put some lights on a tree outside our house, and hung a wreath on the door.

Attachment 20290

Attachment 20298

Attachment 20306

It's a beautiful time of year, and one that calls you to stop and reflect on the true meaning of Christmas.
Nice setting their, Bruce! You'll have a nice time spending Christmas in your new home.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I live near the Old Mystic Seaport. It's a maritime museum set up like an early american whaling village. Every year on the Sunday before Christmas they open their doors to all who want to come and see the place, they ask that you bring food items for the local food bank as the entrance fee.
We usually spend a good part of the day walking through the village, checking out the stores and the various work shops they have set up to show what life in those days was like. We tour the old whaling ships and displays of items they have collected from that era. The best part of the day is everyone gathers outside of the church and has an old fashioned community carol sing. There is usually a couple of hundred people. It's really quite magical.
I'm not originally from the area, my wife started this tradition for us and we've taken my daughter and now her family every year for the last 32 years.
Here is their website if you wish to check out the sea port.
Mystic Seaport, The Museum of America and the Sea

Reactions: bwdbrn1

·
Registered
499 Posts
I live near the Old Mystic Seaport. It's a maritime museum set up like an early american whaling village. Every year on the Sunday before Christmas they open their doors to all who want to come and see the place, they ask that you bring food items for the local food bank as the entrance fee.
We usually spend a good part of the day walking through the village, checking out the stores and the various work shops they have set up to show what life in those days was like. We tour the old whaling ships and displays of items they have collected from that era. The best part of the day is everyone gathers outside of the church and has an old fashioned community carol sing. There is usually a couple of hundred people. It's really quite magical.
I'm not originally from the area, my wife started this tradition for us and we've taken my daughter and now her family every year for the last 32 years.
That sounds like fun Devans! I'm thinking we might take a ride over next Sunday for a visit, been a few years since the last time we were there. Thanks for the info!:2th:

I forgot to add Christmas Vacation to the movie list. That one never gets old. I think know that movie nearly line for line, lol.
That's a classic too Austen, we just watched it last night! Watching "It's a Wonderful Life" now on USA network.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Home alone 1and 2 are favorites here! Dad laughs so hard with those, just fun to see him almost cry laughing!! :)

Reactions: bwdbrn1 and Austen

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What a great tradition! I'll bet it is a magical experience. :)

That's a classic too Austen, we just watched it last night!
May just put it on tonight.

Home alone 1and 2 are favorites here! Dad laughs so hard with those, just fun to see him almost cry laughing!!
Oh, Eric.... don't get me started on those! :sidelaugh:sidelaugh

My favorite parts from those two movies are the scenes from the factitious "Angels With Filthy Souls" movie. :sidelaugh;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Go for it Mike. I don't remember the exact time of the carol sing but it's just before dark so around 3:00 over at the anchor.
If you see an old guy with a camo Gravely ball cap on it's probably me. Lols.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
"Austen ,you filthy animal" :sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh:sarcasm::howdy::dunno::bag:

Guess what was on the TV when I got off computer last night? Home Alone 2!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Got home from work to see Home Alone 2 ! Then found Home alone 1 on! Lol overdosing now ! Need good laughs!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got home from work to see Home Alone 2 ! Then found Home alone 1 on! Lol overdosing now ! Need good laughs!
I watched both this year too! They never get old.

No. 2 is still my favorite. :2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
I watched both this year too! They never get old.

No. 2 is still my favorite. :2th:
Austen think we watched them four times now!!��

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts