My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goodby Honda HHR216VKA, you taught me a good lesson[/B:banghead:

I've had Honda Self-Propelled (fixed-speed) Mowers for about 20 yrs....until I bought this thing. My lawn is a hill, nothing but hills, and when there aren't any hills the flat parts are lumpy. The so-called "Smart-Drive" system on this mower is totally out of control on hills....I mean , it's all over the place, too fast all of a sudden, not moving, losing traction on the hill with the smooth wheels and super light housing.....no amount of adjustments could correct it.

Bottom line .... There should be a warning on this mower..."Not to be used on extremely hilly or uneven terrain" .....

Honda, Honda, Honda ......Honda can't build anything wrong ever....right..???:dunno:

That's why I just fumbled into Home Depot last year and bought this thing...used it 5 times...got $250. back this week. Went to Lowe's and left with a Husqvara All-Wheel Drive, steel deck, weighs a ton, and man can it cut on hills, and it stays where you want it to go...Now there's a variable control drive that works right, lower gearing...who the ****'s running after the mower when you're cutting lots of hills...??? At 58 yrs. old I definitely need a mower that can pull ME up the hill and cut the grass at the same time....:2th:

And guess what .... It came with a Honda engine...the 190....so I guess it's the best of both worlds for me now....:2th:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just don't follow the ads.......

I forget the exact percentage, but when the folks from Husqvara did their research most people DO NOT have lawns like a putting green on a golf course.That made them move into a seqment no one else pursued before, being All-Wheel+Drive, for lawns that a lot of people have.:idea:

Sure, I could have bumped up to $700. for a Honda with a Hydrostatic transmission...( Cripes...it sounds like I'm buying a car...!!!). That would at least let me lock in one speed anywhere I want and have it remain there. But these things are getting nuts. For manufacturers to have abandoned simple, inexpensive, fixed speed drivetrains for high priced automatic drivetrains I simply ask WHY .........??? Things were fine on the hills when I could put the thing in low and leave it there. To not offer any fixed drives leaves people with impossible lawns in a predicament....:(

And what if Honda's new hydrostatic drive breaks 6 months out of warranty...can you just buy a new belt and fix it ???......think how much that would cost? And you would have to fix it because your into a $700. mower.:eek:

We'll see if the Husqvara AWD does the job and lasts....it would still be better in my opinion with a fixed 2 or 3 speed transmission. But it's automatic is easier to meter and control with either hand grabbing the dual side control levers. The thumb controlled Honda smart drive is out of control when the handle is at anything other than the perfect angle.:ThumbUp:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have never had an issue with the positive drive of a Snapper 21401PS, nor any of my manual or hydrostatic cub cadets, or even my Eclipse gas reel mower on very steep hills. I do a lot of mowing along very steep inclines and FRONT wheel drive mowers are not the way to go. You need weight, good drive tires, and a good differential to carry the load and keep you moving. None of the machines ever get stuck. I do not see the need for a 4 wheel drive push mower nor a push mower with hydrostatic transmissions or pace matching. The whole machine becomes more troublesome and unreliable with the addition of all of those things.

Chris

·
Registered
130 Posts
On another note, have you ever operated a Ventrac 4100 turbo diesel with duals on the front and back? They are one **** of a machine, and for me to say that about something new is amazing! I would always prefer a vintage Roof 60 or Kut Kwick, but for something that good to be made today I am shocked!

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts