My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got up this morning and saw this! I know I needed to take the feeders down this time of year. I forgot and guess my hungry friend showed up! Thank God only one feeder is toast! I got to rebuild the hanging system. Got to sell more tractors to pay for bear!! :) :sidelaugh
This Chipping Sparrow told me where the feederes went, follow the hungry birds!

·
1,329 Posts
Oh my, that's not good, thanks for sharing. But thatS a scary thing. We have black bear in this area also

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
That is scary! You almost want to set up a motion camera.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I have been within five feet of it! Long story, last year I was going out around dusk to put feeders away as he hit me two days in a row. I saw the feeder station down on its side and didn't put two and two together. I go on porch mad and he looks up! I see him through porch fence! I got so mad I started yelling and he took off for woods, and like a big dumb red neck, I chase after him!!! I got half way through yard before red mist gave way to God given fear!! I RAN BACK TO HOUSE!!!
The Neighbors heard me yelling and we were talking , saw him come out of woods about three hundred feet up road by swamp. He crossed it and went down road! At least a 400# by height of it! I was careful after that! Just came back in from putting feeders away!
Here is the temp setup for now!

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
So far no bear problem although I've heard there are more sightings in the state in recent years. Deer empty my feeders and the bird bath. About two weeks ago a group of 20 deer both big and small came through the yard while I as looking out the window during the middle of the day. Something, maybe a farmer doing field work must have spooked them.

I spy a weather station by the bird feeders! :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Mark, you mean the starship enterprise!?!? ;) Yea ,I am a wanna be weather guy! I like to know rainfall, wind speed, that kind of thing! Have three weather monitors screens in house! The main one that unit runs is in living room! We had a 80+ wind guts from Bow echo last year! BAD STORM!

·
Administrator
6,228 Posts
...We had a 80+ wind guts from Bow echo last year! BAD STORM!
:eek: So far the highest gust I measured was a 70mph gust between 5:00-5:15pm 9-14-2008 when the remnants of hurricane Ike came through. Darnedest thing, partly cloudy all day with only 0.04" from sprinkles. It was all wind. Power was out for 3 days after that and we were some of the lucky ones. I was actually standing outside looking at the clouds when that gust hit and the sun was out. Fortunately it came from due North from which we are sheltered by the hillside at ground level. But my anemometer up on the TV antenna tower at 25' took a direct hit. Sounded like the jet stream was only 20' above me head. :D

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a similar experience with Superstorm Sandy. We are in valley area. I could see the hard wind /rain around us,but didn't feel effects. I could see and hear heavy wind about 20-30 above us in pine trees! I have been in some weird weather due to truck driving. I think I was hit by super small developing tornado once, moved my car weirdly from side to side and back to front in three seconds? Heard on news a small tornado touched down a few miles from that area?? God protected me as usual!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts