My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm re-powering my 8123 with an onan. It came off a gravely so no question about being correct length. My problem, I noticed that the end of the shaft where the spur gear floats has about 4 thousandths of wear on one side. Is this enough wear to be an issue?? I have a lathe and could tig some filler and turn it to size but not sure if I should attempt this or not. What do you think I should do??

Thanks
Teaching science

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
That's not a call I can make from knowledge or experience, but obviously .004" wear on one side is not optimum. You can check for your engines service manual here, under "resources"......

Gravely Tractor Club - Gravely Manuals

As far as bevel gear location, I believe it varies from some engines to others, even if switched from one Gravely to another. I replaced a 16 Briggs single with a Kohler 18 twin on my 8169 and had to measure carefully to make sure the needle bearing and races were shimming the bevel gear to the right position. A different adapter plate could be involved. I wish I could give you more solid info, but I'd hate to steer you wrong even more. Either way, the site in the link is a great go to place for Gravely owners. Keep us posted :ThumbUp:

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Also, forgot to mention, I wouldn't resort to welding/ lathe turning unless all else is exhausted. As a welder and machinist I can say that the possible heat distortion from welding and the associated run out from a lathe not being indicated to a high level of concentricity could result in your shaft being worse than at present.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts