My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Came in early for break and lunch, I took to looking at Craigslist on phone. Found a L120 for $120 local with good hood!! It was listed as having engine issue. Called right away for it , asked guy question on engine, he is owner of a Wheel Horse dealer I know of. The engine was acting of a valve seat slipping out. Offered him $100 over phone, he took it! Went right over and bought it , looks like it was cared for with many new parts! New spindles, plugs air filter, and one magneto!!

Loaded it up and got home, I took valve covers off after we tried to fire it, exhaust through carb neck!
The one valve push rod was laying in sump and other was bent on passenger side head.

We took head off to find guide slipped down. Dad fixed it and I cleaned head of mouse nest and oily film. Should have pressure washed it first ,but I got ahead of ourselves! After some work, we got head back on and valves adjusted. Fired on second crank and smooth runner!! YAY!!!!!!!!:cool
The steering is horrible and needs tires which I have! Tried deck and driving ,all seems good! Now to clean it up and try to fix it for late season sale!

Reactions: gardnerphoto

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The video shows what a mess it is to steer!! LOL

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the good front wheel set from scrapped L120 we had. At least I have the replacement rubber! Dad had trouble finding the fuel pump vacuum hose today though. Need one for sure!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Eric
Dunno how you do it..Lunch time , full time job, commuting, and all this work done too...! I too, spent hours pulling a V twin out of my recent CL buy...Blown connect rod..and I paid 2 1/2 times what you paid...Great keeper ..!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, tell me about it! Guess our issue is lack of patience when it comes to hearing a new one fire! God knows I happen upon some deals on CL!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today we got a ton done on it! Much needed pressure wash and removed deck yesterday, what a stench! :( Dad had great idea on adjusting front tie-rods back to factory. We removed them one at a time and measured how far off they were with steering wheel straight and tire straight. Then dad bent the bar at factory spot to re-align them! Now we have toe-in some!! Drives great now!

Then I buffed the machine and cleaned a lot of the engine and wheels. Dad swapped the front tires for the L120 scrapper we had years ago!
Here is video after detail and tire swap.

Deck is a work in progress! Paint is normal flaking off! The spindle in center has loose shaft, I messed up and stripped the nut on replacement one we took from the L120 in yard! :( John Deere has it local and a new drive belt as this one is cut in one spot. We have to fix the hood that is breaking at front mount. Getting there!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
You sure can make them like new again!! Nice work, guys! :2th:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! Still a ways to go, but came along nicely! Always feel good when they clean up like this!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well dad got to work this week, new drive belt and he fixed spindle! Dad installed S.S bolts on hood to repair broken plastic mounts. He repainted the deck and we installed it today. Waited for paint to dry and I mowed tonight. Mows very nice!! Runs very well also! I changed the oil and fresh fuel filter and line from filter up. My friend Bob has a buddy in need of mower ASAP and he sold him our JD! He will deliver Monday! SCORE!!

Reactions: Austen

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Offered the L120 to neighbor Art to mow his yard to test for me. He fell in LOVE! We going to build the junky L120 for him. He is super happy! Gave me a like new leaf sweeper like a tip!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Nice work, guys!

Do you keep an ongoing photo album of all of your resurrections? :)

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Austen, I did, but need a big update!

Reactions: Austen
1 - 17 of 17 Posts