My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Honda HRR216TDA. Would it hurt anything to spray WD40 in the gear shift lever to make it shift a little easier?

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Wouldn't hurt a thing.

Come to think of it, while you have the mower over on it's side to clean under the deck, take a moment to check the area around the transmission as well. Grass and other debris can get caught up around the top of the transmission and that might also cause the shifting to be a bit stiff as well.

This is the same transmission you have in your mower....
Before....

After....

Not that it has to be all spotless like that, and you don't have to take the transmission out of the mower to clean it up.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Would be alright to free it up but, long term, I would use a light grease/oil or graphite as it would not evaporate. Honda may have a recommended product to use as well. Some Honda guy may have some more input shortly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wouldn't hurt a thing.

Come to think of it, while you have the mower over on it's side to clean under the deck, take a moment to check the area around the transmission as well. Grass and other debris can get caught up around the top of the transmission and that might also cause the shifting to be a bit stiff as well.

This is the same transmission you have in your mower....
Before....

After....

Not that it has to be all spotless like that, and you don't have to take the transmission out of the mower to clean it up.
That is so cool! Thank you for showing that.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
You will see when you look at your HRR216TDA you'll see that the cables are solid wires, pretty much, that run through the sheathing. WD40, PB Blaster, or something like them will work just fine to lube them up. You can pick up cable specific lubes at a motorcycle shop if you want, but, eh...

If you have a slow night and find yourself looking for some reading material, here's a couple threads that you might find a little bit related to your HRR216TDA.

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/105-all-other-brands/6209-franken-mower-sr.html

http://www.mylawnmowerforum.com/forum/5-small-engine-repair-discussion/4194-honda-gcv160a-2.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts