My Lawnmower Forum banner

Way Off Topic

542 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Brad
Just sitting here at the computer thinking about a project I did a few years back and thought I'd post some info and photos about it. About 6 years ago I had a weeks vacation to burn and nothing to do. I had been reading on some woodworking projects and stumbled across a canoe project with free plans. I downloaded the plans and read them over several times. If nothing else, they do make good reading! Anyway, I decided to try my hand at building this canoe. I made it out of 2 sheets of (I think 3/8 inch think) plywood. Then came the finish. I thought it was a polyester resin, what you get for doing auto repairs. I was wrong on that part, but seems to have worked fairly well anyway. If I was to do it again, I'd use the correct product, a 2 part epoxy. That hardens up much better, I think.

Anyway, here are some pictures I took of the canoe recently. It is presently down in my basement, having been in the water only 1 time if I remember correctly. If anyone wants a copy of the plans, let me know. I will either send them or give you the link. They are definitely free plans, just download them and print them off. About 25 pages. Like I said, it really does make for some great bedtime reading when it's cold and snowing outside. I have about $150 in the whole thing. Took me much less than 40 hours to build and about 35 of that was the finishing with the resin and painting.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Wow Brad,

It looks nice...and for the money, how could you beat it?

Do you canoe allot as I see another one in the background?
No, I really don't canoe too much. I've had the other one for about 30 years and it's been out maybe a dozen times or so, total! Should sell it but always think I'll use it "next year".
If you sell it, next thing there will be a flood and you'll wish you still had it. :D

I have a basement, garage, attic and tool shed choc full of items large to small like that. Although I never learned to swim and don't like to be in or on water deeper then my knees. Never been much point in my having a boat. ;)
That sounds like a really cool project! Nice work on it, looks great!
Good project, looks nice. Brad can a electric trolling motor be installed on a canoe like that if a transom was built on one end? How about a small sail?
Yes to both of those I'd say. They do have specific plans for a small sailboat also. Some pretty easy builds.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.