My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey the Club Cadet in the sticky looks my mower's brother: Mine is a a 2002 Yardman Yardbug going strong into year 13. Mine wouldn't go into reverse, so I took it to be checked out and prepped for winter storage. Then I couldn't get it back from my shop, who was going out of business. So I started researching new RE riders thinking I'd never see it again... I discovered new ones are cheaper, plastic and have gone to friction disk transmissions. Eventually I got mine back. I obtained an MTD service manual. It took me about 30 minutes to figure out that my mowers sealed greased transmission was just fine. All I needed to do was adjust the 2 forward/reverse cables.

-- Looking forward to replacing the 3 belts next time. Why are there two drive belts? Is this really a two speed mower? It seems like a multi speed mower. The harder you push down on the "Go" pedal, the faster it moves. (well faster is relative here).

· Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Glad to hear your decided to take it upon yourself and figure out what's going on! :cool It's a great feeling when you get to know your machine inside and out and make repairs on your own..... :2th: I'm sure you're much happier to get your machine back and fix it VS purchasing what sounds like a new machine that's worse off then the old one! :)

· Premium Member
5,899 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is green where yours is white. Its an MTD Yardman brand. And mine has a 9 HP engine instead of 8.5. I heard that they put up to a 10.5 hp engine in later versions. I've repaired the steering too. I have the original grass catcher, side discharge chute and mulching plug. The weak point in this mower is that its hard to repair due to its closed design. But I really like the way you can get really close to things on the sides, especially if you are using the grass catcher. And I like the solid metal frame and hood. It seems better made than new mowers, which are mostly covered in plastic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.