My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, we worked on this Craftsman today. The paint is horribly dry and chalky. I thought I would try to buff it out, one of the worst ones I ever saw!
Here are the pictures to prove it works! Turtle wax rubbing compound with foam mid grade pad. Milwaukee rotary buffer.
How is this for a result!! I was alone so no video, thought this would be best way otherwise!

Some paint on rust, used bed liner.

Shame to leave it at this. Stupid Magneto either burned out or electrical issue killed two on us! No more to try! :( All done except for the engine and deck belt issue!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
It's amazing what some buffing will do! I like the comparison photo.

As always, great work!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Austen! We really worked on this one. Swapped transaxles as this ones rust froze. Then fixed deck and magneto swap as other one no spark. Then go to try it with deck on, no spark again?? Think I may be getting stray voltage into it through ground.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought that too Mark!

·
Registered
480 Posts
While I'm not surprised at the end result I too am surprised there was enough paint there.
Years ago I worked in the reconditioning part of a car dealership, they had taken an old red volvo in trade and it was bad, it looked pink bad. The boss was saying to repaint it, I told him I could save it as is. I talked him into letting me do a test area for him to see. We didn't repaint the car.
Your Craftsman looks nice and will make someone very happy to have.

Reactions: Ericjr16
1 - 7 of 7 Posts