My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a fellow GIVING away a STX38!!!!!!!! :ThumbUp: :^:
Thank God real nice guy. Going to pick it up tomorrow morning!
Pictures to come!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bruce! This is true, this week my friend gave me the Craftsman lawn sweeper he bought from the friend who gave dad the tractor to fix for $30,but could not figure it out. We swapped for the seat he wanted. Been good vacation week for me!!
Cannon, the STX is like a bigger /newer version of 111. To me anyway, the STX is bigger engine, but seem very alike. We have had 6+ STX and just one 111. I'll take pictures of them side by side today!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks motor, you bet! God gave me a few things this week, the sweeper, this tractor. Been a real good week off for us! Even got another machine going!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well we got there a little early. Found the house easy enough. The poor tractor must have been left under a tree! We loaded it up, thank God for the little compressor we have. The tires were flat. Got home and unloaded it. My friend Bob came over and we messed with it, battery was low but good! It started!! Moves some, but carb real dirty and died. Pressure washed it and found most paint was flaking off, real rusty. Total repaint is needed on pan. The hood is good except on a small part , might leave it. The PTO engaged, but safety is bypassed and acting weird, stalled. Could be lack of power from engine. Thank God real happy for gift!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never owned an STX. How much different are they from my 111H? I know you have had some of both.
Cannon
Cannon, by looking them over the STX is a unibody frame compared to the 111 solid separate frame. The deck appears the same. I will try to get picture of them side by side today when I park the 111 for night. The seller machines are by road right now. A guy called while I was out and asked about one, hasn't showed yet! Figures! Cut my trip from town short from picking up tractor!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cannon, it started to rain. I did not get the best pictures to show you, but tried for now!

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Nice old tractor, should be easy to fix.

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Smitty! A project for the winter I am thinking!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks Eric, I was wondering if the 111/116 evolved into the 160/185 and then into the STX's. From talking to a friend at church I believe my 111H and his 165 share several parts but looks like the STX is all different from a parts standpoint.
Cannon

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Cannon, you may be onto something?!? I happen to have pictures of the 111 with my 180 from the first time I sold it. Here they are!

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update!! Flakey lives!!! ( the name the guys on MTF gave it! ) I got home from visiting a fellow forum member of MTF and came home and messed with the tractor. I cleaned out the mouse nest in engine. Checked mag clearance and tried it. It would run,then seem to run out of fuel? I pulled the fuel line and it trickled out. I went to remove the filter and the line broke off tank and spilled a gallon of fuel onto ground!? The way the tank is mounted on a STX made it real hard to stop or remove it fast, so oh well! Removed tank and cleaned outside, found a HUGE Spider in there, sent it to heaven! ;) Replaced the line and all new filter and shut off. Tried it again to find it.....Runs like a champ!! :)
I tried it around yard and it moves well and PTO/deck works good too! Then muffler nest caught fire some!! ALOT of smoke! We blew that out and cleaned it!
Happy!! God blessed us! Found out that brakes did not work! Looked and adjusted them, only out of adjustment!!!! :)

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Good work getting it running! Are you going to strip the paint and repaint the pan?

BTW, do you know what STX stands for? :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good work getting it running! Are you going to strip the paint and repaint the pan?

BTW, do you know what STX stands for? :cool:
Thanks Austen, enlighten me!! :dunno: This should be good............:sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
9,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Kori! Think this one will need a little bondo skim coat to smooth the rust pits in metal! Pretty pitted in spots!

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Suburban Tractor Experiment.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts