My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If own a John Deere mower with Kawasaki engine and it is an older model, check if has drain hose at bottom of fuel pump. Own a JD 345 that had a fuel pump diaphragm failure and fuel leaked out of fuel pump drain hole on to the hot exhaust and mower CAUGHT FIRE. The carbarutor and fuel pump are on the front of the engine just ABOVE the muffler. A leak from either will drop on hot muffler and cause a fire. Later models have a drain hose routing any leaks away from the muffler. A friend of mine and I (both with JD mowers with Kawasaki engine of same design) had our mowers catch fire from gas leaks on to the muffler within a week of each other. Dealer claimed no knowledge of number of fires caused by this design flaw. When dealer repaired mower (at cost of almost $2000...yes that much damage) the new fuel pump came with the hose to divert any leaks away from muffler. Thus John Deere must of knew of problem. My question to John Deere...Why not a recall? Wonder how many mowers and even homes have been lost to fire from this design flaw. My friends mower caught fire after mowing and he was airing up a tire when saw flames and used a fire extinguisher to kill the flames. Any others out there who may have had a JD fire and wondered why?

·
Registered
8 Posts
As you can tell from my sig, I have had a few JD 345/Gx345 and love them.
The 1996 345 had the old fuel pump my 2000 345 had the updated one when I bought it new. This is a big problem I know JD had a recall to the original owner of these tractors but after they were resold a few times without ever being updated. If you have an older one you better take a look at which fuel pump you have. I have heard of people having there garages burn down because of this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If own a John Deere mower with Kawasaki engine and it is an older model, check if has drain hose at bottom of fuel pump. Own a JD 345 that had a fuel pump diaphragm failure and fuel leaked out of fuel pump drain hole on to the hot exhaust and mower CAUGHT FIRE. The carbarutor and fuel pump are on the front of the engine just ABOVE the muffler. A leak from either will drop on hot muffler and cause a fire. Later models have a drain hose routing any leaks away from the muffler. A friend of mine and I (both with JD mowers with Kawasaki engine of same design) had our mowers catch fire from gas leaks on to the muffler within a week of each other. Dealer claimed no knowledge of number of fires caused by this design flaw. When dealer repaired mower (at cost of almost $2000...yes that much damage) the new fuel pump came with the hose to divert any leaks away from muffler. Thus John Deere must of knew of problem. My question to John Deere...Why not a recall? Wonder how many mowers and even homes have been lost to fire from this design flaw. My friends mower caught fire after mowing and he was airing up a tire when saw flames and used a fire extinguisher to kill the flames. Any others out there who may have had a JD fire and wondered why?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes I have a late 90s 345 with the Kawasaki engine and today I mowed for 15 or 20 minutes parked it in yard ,turned it off and walked about 25 yards away to pick up some sticks in the yard .after about 5 minutes I turned around and flames were shooting out from the front of the mower!!! I ran to house and grabbed the hose and ran over to put fire out but by the time I got over to it , must of been burning for 2 to 3 minutes.I pulled the hood off before spraying it down. I had not heard of any recall or problems with these mowers until I looked up this site.and I had just talked to a buddy of mine who retired from John Deere about my mower 3 days ago and he never said anything about potential for fires. I will call John Deere tomorrow and see what they say.does anyone know of anybody who got any compensation from John Deere from one of these fires?
Yes I have a late 90s 345 with the Kawasaki engine and today I mowed for 15 or 20 minutes parked it in yard ,turned it off and walked about 25 yards away to pick up some sticks in the yard .after about 5 minutes I turned around and flames were shooting out from the front of the mower!!! I ran to house and grabbed the hose and ran over to put fire out but by the time I got over to it , must of been burning for 2 to 3 minutes.I pulled the hood off before spraying it down. I had not heard of any recall or problems with these mowers until I looked up this site.and I had just talked to a buddy of mine who retired from John Deere about my mower 3 days ago and he never said anything about potential for fires. I will call John Deere tomorrow and see what they say.does anyone know of anybody who got any compensation from John Deere from one of these fires?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts