My Lawnmower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across a Briggs and Stratton 6BH in very poor condition. I'm wanting to restore it, but i have a problem. As I was attempting to take the clutch/flywheel nut off I broke the flange on the casing the holds the bolt for the blower housing. When it broke it took part of the casing with it and put a dime size hole in the casing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how this could be fixed. I thought about taking it to a local welding shop to see if they could work some magic, but I wanted some other suggestions or advice. Also, does anyone know where I could look for parts and service information for this engine.

Model: 6BH
Type: 900604
Serial: 475988

I believe its an aluminum casing..

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
...I wanted some other suggestions or advice. Also, does anyone know where I could look for parts and service information for this engine.

Model: 6BH
Type: 900604
Serial: 475988

I believe its an aluminum casing..
6BH (vertical shaft) (1953-1958) Aluminum (Snip from:Briggs & Stratton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Operating / Service / Parts Manual: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNE4PayX9zb5irVBPN6_1V979M3_MA&cad=rja

Interesting website on old engines - 1957 Briggs 6BH

You might be able to get JB weld to hold the piece if it is not really structural to the block other then a mounting point for the shroud.

J-B Weld Company - J-B WELD Product Information

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not real familiar with the site yet. Can you tell me how to get the pictures attached to the thread.

thanks

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Not real familiar with the site yet. Can you tell me how to get the pictures attached to the thread.

thanks
After you upload the pictures from a host site such as Photobucket, compy the IMG code and simply paste into your post.;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I hope these photos help out. The first picture is an over all picture. The 2nd has the broken piece in place. If you look closely you can see the crack. It fits together fairly well. The 3rd picture has the broken piece removed.

Thanks for all your help

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
Probably could be welded by someone with experience on cast aluminum and the right equipment to do it.

Being it is mainly just holding the shroud in place JB Weld might work OK. Bad part would be if it were to come back loose again while running it will blow oil out of there.

Guess it kind of depends on what you plan to do with the engine after restoration. Whether it will spend most of the time setting on the shelf looking good or if your going to put it back to regular working hours.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tig weld it or get a new block thats your 2 choices.
Don't JB weld it thats like putting a band aid on when you need stiches.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone know where I can get replacement parts for this old engine? I'm going to be needing gaskets, and I would like to get a gas tank and some vintage replacement stickers. I got the got the deck sand blasted and its cleaning up really well. I 'll try to get some more pictures on here soon.

·
Administrator
6,224 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get replacement parts for this old engine? I'm going to be needing gaskets, and I would like to get a gas tank and some vintage replacement stickers. I got the got the deck sand blasted and its cleaning up really well. I 'll try to get some more pictures on here soon.
Any local repair shop or online store will likely be able to get gaskets, carb rebuild parts, etc. by crossing the part numbers from the service manual.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=12&ved=0CEsQFjABOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.briggsandstratton.com%2Fpdf%2Fowners_manual%2F100%2F6BH-Domestic.pdf&rct=j&q=Briggs%206BH%20parts&ei=f22WTrDoI8iXtwe_7ZiKBA&usg=AFQjCNE4PayX9zb5irVBPN6_1V979M3_MA&cad=rja

Gas tank will be a matter of finding one either ebay, local small engine club meets, etc.

Edit: Actually a better thought might be to just enter the part numbers in www.Google.com and see what comes up. For example enter: "293514 fuel tank"

Several places show up claiming to have them for a wide range of prices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts