My Lawnmower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Viability and return on investment.

I am sure you are looking at this and wondering why would that be the tag line?

Well, I have 2 acres of land and with all of the trees, dips, angles & angulations. I am running a JD L 110 and pushing 4 1/2 hours of cutting. So I am looking at a ZTR mower, to hopefully cut my mowing time to less than 2 hours.

Now one of my fellow land owners down the hill has a new JD 235 and seems quite happy with it, impressed with the hills he can cut and time it saves. Here in Canada it runs 3500 with taxes, comes with a 2 yr warranty, 42” cut and has the basic

After looking at other models and wondering about what is out there.

~ JD dealer only wanted to sell me the unit Z 9xx about $10k+taxes = $11,300 and said this is all you will need for the rest of your life.
~ Home depot said get the same unit as the other guy and look at a 10 yr unit for less than 1/2 price, and buy a new unit in 10 yrs.
~ Kubota said look at the Z125EBR giving you a 54” cut, BG 24hp & better transmission t2200 for 6300$ for a 20 yr unit

So I guess I am looking for advice? Please forgive my grammar and spelling since English is my third spoken language.
Currently am 55yrs old and the wife is not interested in cutting the lawn, hoping to stay in the house for another 10-15 yrs.

So to the original question, I ask to all of you who have been there and or are going to be there?

Viability and return on investment! :dunno:

Thank you in advance, & I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on this post.

Neetan :idea:

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm in the same boat where the riders I have just aren't big enough or fast enough and it seems I'm out there for a number of hours a couple days a week.
One of my neighbors has a tow behind (to the side) that pretty much doubles his cutting each pass. It's looking more and more inviting. If your 110 is working good for you and you'd like to keep it, towing another finish mower would be a much less expensive way to go if you have the room to store it. 44" swisher about 1,400-2,0000.

https://www.google.com/#q=tow+behind+mower

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in the same boat where the riders I have just aren't big enough or fast enough and it seems I'm out there for a number of hours a couple days a week.
One of my neighbors has a tow behind (to the side) that pretty much doubles his cutting each pass. It's looking more and more inviting. If your 110 is working good for you and you'd like to keep it, towing another finish mower would be a much less expensive way to go if you have the room to store it. 44" swisher about 1,400-2,0000.

https://www.google.com/#q=tow+behind+mower
Thanks Kiss4afrog,

Never thought of that! I will look into that.

cheers, :idea:

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Do you use the 110 for any other tasks besides mowing?

I've seen a lot of zero turns mowing, and read a lot of what people have to say about them, but in my mind, there doesn't seem to be much else you can use them for. A garden tractor, with its potential for being used for other jobs, like snow removal or ground engaging attachments seem more practical in the long run to me, at least for my applications.

BTW, nothing wrong with your grammar at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dear bwdbrn1,

No, I do not use it for anything other than cutting grass, But I do own a grass sweeper and a tow behind Aerator. Which is not used often.

The JD L110 has an issue on this forum of the transmissons failing.

Thanks,

·
Registered
686 Posts
Unless you want to keep it until you die please don't buy a new transmission. I did that on my 160 and and have about zero hours on it as the engine died right after replacing the trans with a new brand new unit. 600 bucks pretty much down the drain.

Still working on that one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The JD ZT235 uses the hydro-gear EZT drives which are the low end in drives, if you have very many hills they won't last long just like your L110.

You can change oil in them but you have to remove drives from mower and turn upside down to drain.

I have the EZT drives in my Husqvarna RZ4623, my lawn is mostly flat 2 acres.
Mower now has 104 hrs on it and I plan to change oil in them this winter.

Just wanted to give you a heads up and that you might want to step up to better drives.
P.S. I haven't had any problems with my drives.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Gainestruk, I'm sure turning the drive upside down gets the most out but have you ever tried to suck the oil out without removing the drive ??
My Craftsman Hydro doesn't have a drain and I've found that I can use a brake bleeder, vacuum pump to suck most out. Have to empty that cup a number of times but it gets the job done.

I own one but they might still be a loaner tool at Oreilly, Autozone, ....

Reactions: wh55

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The JD ZT235 uses the hydro-gear EZT drives which are the low end in drives, if you have very many hills they won't last long just like your L110.

You can change oil in them but you have to remove drives from mower and turn upside down to drain.

I have the EZT drives in my Husqvarna RZ4623, my lawn is mostly flat 2 acres.
Mower now has 104 hrs on it and I plan to change oil in them this winter.

Just wanted to give you a heads up and that you might want to step up to better drives.
P.S. I haven't had any problems with my drives.
Dear gainestruk and Everyone,

How important is the drive (forgive my insolence)? What is the cost of repair / replacement and how long should they last? Plus, what else should I be looking for in a ZTR or other?
Now, having more time to look and read, I see people who love stamped decks due to airflow and others who swear by fabricated because of the durability. Which is better in your opinion?
This brings me back to the original issue of " Viability and return on investment." I do not know if this is a problem that we all face and wonder about.

Thank you again! :help:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dear gainestruk and Everyone,

How important is the drive (forgive my insolence)? What is the cost of repair / replacement and how long should they last? Plus, what else should I be looking for in a ZTR or other?
Now, having more time to look and read, I see people who love stamped decks due to airflow and others who swear by fabricated because of the durability. Which is better in your opinion?
This brings me back to the original issue of " Viability and return on investment." I do not know if this is a problem that we all face and wonder about.

Thank you again! :help:
Hi Guys, Just an update ~ I went and did it!!! I bought a Hustler fastrac SD with the Honda 23hp engine with a 48" cut. Hoping it is not too much of a unit. It fulfilled my major concerns of a zero turn. Wanting to thank the community, for all the advice on what to look for and what not to buy. Now it has the ZT 3100 transmission / Honda 23 HP. / Fabricated Deck / Roll over bar / seat belt & two gas tanks. The unit was in a showroom for 2 years, with 0.9 hours on it, the salesman I think came up with a deal, that I felt was "I cannot walk away from this!" Up in Canada where our currency has taken a dive against the US, everything is up 50%. The current unit has a 48" Kawasaki FS691 23 HP. and the ZT 3400 with the better seat and selling for between 9100-10200 mine was 5800 plus 13% tax. Yes, we get ____ in Canada. I would like a better seat sometime, and will come to you all for advice on how to change it and where to get one. Well the "Viability and return on investment" part, my thinking was whatever I buy will be worth less tomorrow! So buy quality and if I decide to sell the next owner will hopefully see and be willing to pay for it. Sorry about the grammar, English is not my first language.
Hay, Thanks nearly forgot. :2th:

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Really glad to hear you ended up with a Hustler! I've heard nothing but good things about the brand and they are considered to be the oldest zero turn on the market today for 51 years in production.

Sounds like you got an awesome deal that's for sure! Thanks for following up and keeping us posted on your purchase. I know what everyone is thinking like myself...

We want to see some pictures! :wwp:

·
Administrator
7,359 Posts
Congratulations! I'm sure you will like using it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts